New Discussion юеВ

Query on Proactive polling

SOLVED
Go to solution
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Query on Proactive polling

http://forums11.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1147216

With reference to the above thread, could you please provide any docs which talks about proactive polling causing trespassing in Clariion.
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
5 REPLIES 5
Michal Kapalka (mikap)
Honored Contributor

Re: Query on Proactive polling

hi,

check this on powerlink.emc.com

for example :

https://community.emc.com/message/410196

but if you don't have acoount you need to register.

mikap
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

I will post my answers once I find a perfect explanation.
As per my analysis, this should not be required.
"Light travels faster than sound. That's why some people appear bright until you hear them speak."
Avinash20
Honored Contributor
Solution

When HP initially released the LVM proactive polling, they made sure that hpux recognizes their on active/passive array types and were able to avoid trespass storms there that way.

EMC contacted HP engineering, and
HP came up with the solution that proactive polling can be turned off with pvchange -p n command for being able to avoid excessive trespassing with other than HP active/passive arrays.

HP LVM originally utilized INQUIRY requests for its proactive polling implementation, however several years ago moved to utilizing READ requests to block 0 of the device. This behavior change presented a problem for EMC Clariion active /passive configurations with auto-trespass enabled in that the READ request arrival on the non-owner SP would trigger a trespass for that device, where as INQUIRY requests do not result in a trespass event. This made for a requirement to disable proactive polling for this type of configuration.

To summarize LVM proactive polling has to be turned off in case of PVLINKS setup.

For other type of configuration proactive polling can remain enabled, however if there is an underlying multipathing product such as Powerpath it would serve to handle path fault detection and IO request redirection as well as redirect the proactive polling READ requests to other path(s), so LVM proactive polling would serve no useful purpose in this scenario since LVM is above the multipathing product, but also harmless.

Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Proactive polling should be disabled in case of HP-UX PVlinks
Avinash20
Honored Contributor

Proactive Polling can be disable via
# pvchange -p n /dev/dsk/cXtYdZ