5109 Online
108795 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Raw devices inside ServiceGuard or outside SG

Galal
Advisor

Raw devices inside ServiceGuard or outside SG

Hello
I have a good idea in LVM & ServiceGuard, but I'm confusing to create a raw device for oracle inside SG or outside SG. especially, when I need to use the storage in SAN...

I will be very thankful for your help to give me the good idea and basics to create raw device in SAN...
3 REPLIES 3
Prashanth Waugh
Esteemed Contributor

Re: Raw devices inside ServiceGuard or outside SG

Hi Galal,

Its depends upon how ur designing your infrastcture.if you are using service guard for databases then it
should be inside the SG.Suppose you have have 3 application and each having different
databases .If you are making 3 packages each for one application then it should be inside the cluster.Packge means all the resources which you have used for application.resouces means LVM ,VG,srvices,database etc.if you build the application using raw devices as a package then package will be the part of cluster cluster.this will be helpful when some H/W failure or power supply failure ,N/W problem then the package will be shift automatically on adoptive node.Its all depends upon how you are designing ur cluster.

Reagrds
Atul
For success, attitude is equally as important as ability
Deepak Kr
Respected Contributor

Hi,

If you are referring to LVM RAW volume to be used by Database like Oracle or Sybase then...

create VG (vgcreate)
create LV (lvcreate)

dont create FS on it using newfs...

I believe there is no separate concept to create a raw device in SAN...

Regds....DK
"There is always some scope for improvement"
Mustafa Gulercan
Respected Contributor

hi;
Service Guard is protecting mission-critical applications from a wide variety of hardware and software failures.
For oracle you should create raw devices inside cluster structure if your application is critical.

regards,
mustafa