1748202 Members
3062 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Recover /var filesystem from a damage disk

SOLVED
Go to solution

Recover /var filesystem from a damage disk

I have a problem with a disk that is damage and belongs to the vg00 volume group.

The filesystems that are unable to be mount are /var and /tmp.

What will be the procedure to can recover these filesystem in a new disk?

Disks are not hotswap because is a really old disk system.

Here are the error messages:
# mount -a
mount: /dev/vg02/data is already mounted on /data
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol5 is already mounted on /home
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol6 is already mounted on /opt
vxfs mount: /dev/vg00/lvol4 is already mounted, /tmp is busy,
or allowable number of mount points exceeded
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol7 is already mounted on /usr
mount: /dev/vg01/orahome is already mounted on /usr/oracle
vxfs mount: read of super-block on /dev/vg00/lvol8 failed: I/O error
mount: /dev/vg00/lvol1 is already mounted on /stand

I have a tar and an ignite tape.

Regards,

Veronica.

Always is important to know the opinion of other people with or without experience
9 REPLIES 9
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: Recover /var filesystem from a damage disk

Hi Veronica:

I presume from your post that the disk is *not* mirrored. The fastest recourse is probably to replace the disk and re-Ignite the system.

Regards!

...JRF...

Yes you're right. The disk has no mirror. I didn't understand the part of how to re-ignite.

Could you explain me, please?

Thanks.
Always is important to know the opinion of other people with or without experience
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Veronica:

You say that you have an Ignite 'make_tape_recovery' tape. Given that, you essentially do the following.

Boot your server from the tape drive containing your Ignite tape. Select "No" when asked if you wish to interact with the IPL.

After a few minutes you will see the message "Recovery tape created from system on . Press return to continue". Do this.

Choose "Install / Media Only" and select the Advanced Installation tab to customize your installation. You have the opportunity to resize your vg00 filesystems to new sizes if you wish.

Regards!

...JRF...
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The disk has allready passed its life it seems. Where does your /var & /tmp lies. If these are on the same disk which holds other LVOLs in vg00 then it is time to replace disk and restore from ignite as communicated earlier.

If this particular disk only holds /var & /tmp then replace the disk and try restoring file systems to new disk.

There should not be anything in /tmp to be recovered, only one file system should be created and mounted. For /var you can recover using ignite tape.

#pwd
/var (Mounted file system after replacing disk)
#mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn rew
#mt -t /dev/rmt/0mn fsf 1
#tar -xvf /dev/rmt/0mn /var .

If your vg00 has free space to create new file system then prior to replacing disk you can create another file system and can mount that as /var and /tmp to restore from tape.
If you are doing so also modify /etc/fstab accordingly.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"

Hi,

Your first task should be identifying the defective disk. If it's not a root disk, means if the /var and /tmp is on another disk where, root,boot and swap is not included go with with devender's idea.
If the disk is common for the entire root VG, there is no go, other than restoring the system from ignite copy after replacing the defective disk.

Post vgdisplay -v o/p, more over peform a disk check on the defective disk by dd, for possible bad sectors.

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions

Ok, let's see if I understand. vg00 has two disks, the first disk has all the logical volumes but in the second disk I have a part of /tmp and /var, because some time ago I add that disk to the vg00 and I extend these filesystems in that disk.

As this disk added get damage, when the server boots these filesystems are not mounted.

So, the procedure to restore will be
using the ignite tape, in the advance option in order to add two extra disks 4Gb each as the lost disk was 9Gb and to exclude from the vg00 the damage disk. Am I correct?

Thanks.
Solution

Hi,

At this case before going for the ignite, u can try out the following.

1. Boot server in single user mode
2. mount all filesystems except /var and /tmp
2. #/usr/sbin/lvreduce /dev/vg00/lvol4
3. #/usr/sbin/lvreduce /dev/vg00/lvol8
4. #/usr/sbin/vgreduce vg00

Then replace disk, extend the vg, extend the LVs of /var and /tmp. Then boot the system in multiuser mode.

This think I haven't tried yet, just a try, any mistake, pls excecuse
Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions

Thanks.

So, after doing that I will be able to restore my tar or ignite tape, don't you?
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

After following the steps Sunil provided, you should be able to restore /var & /tmp from tape or if the steps he provided does not work, you should be able to re-ignite your server after replacing the bad disks.
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon