Operating System - HP-UX
1752273 Members
4614 Online
108786 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Recreate a file system

Miguel_69

Recreate a file system

I have HP9000 D310 with OS fallen totally and I need to recreate the file system that existed previously. I only have a old backup full of which I can obtain information of the file system that existed and the disk arrangement with the data that I should recover.

As I can recreate a file system?
3 REPLIES 3
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi Miguel:

If you don't have an Ignite recovery tape, and your OS (vg00) is hopelessly corrupt, then I think you are going to have to rebuild your server from the core CD/DVDs and patch downloads.

If it is only vg00 (the OS) that is corrupt, you will *not* loose any non-vg00 data. Simply 'vgexport' (with mapfiles) your non-vg00 volumes before the cold-install and 'vgimport' them afterwards.

Regards!

...JRF...
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

I assume your system is not working at all and you want to know the disk layout and some other system related files from the old disk.

In the absence of a good Ignite backup which is the best and shortest solution for such scenario, you should install OS onto some other disk and then import your current faulty root disk. The onlything extra you require in this will be one additional disk.

After importing current VG like this you can get some important files like /etc/passwd, /etc/group, /etc/rc.config.d/netconf , /etc/hosts among others. Also while importing this VG you shall be able to know file system layout as well.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Miguel_69

We do request the hp support for the solution of the problem.