108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Resizing Volumes

SOLVED
Go to solution
MattJ123
Frequent Advisor

Resizing Volumes

I need to add some space to a logical volume. The slice I want to change requires more space than vgdisplay reports as available on that VG:

VG Name /dev/vg00
PE Size (Mbytes) 16
Free PE 52
16 * 52 = 832 (Mbytes)

However, on vg01 I have plenty:
VG Name /dev/vg01
PE Size (Mbytes) 4
Free PE 5999
4 * 5999 = 23996 (Mbytes)

What would be the best method to reallocate the space from vg01 so that a slice on vg00 can be increased?
4 REPLIES 4
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi,

You will need to free up a disk in vg01 and then add it to vg00. Other than that there is no method to allocate space from vg01 to vg00. To free up the PV/Disk, you will need to use either mirror/reduce (safe) if possible or 'pvmove'.

Alternative is to move the logical volume completely from vg00 to vg01. Other than the OS related logical volumes, there is no reason for other logical volumes to stay in vg00.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Find out the disk/LUN on vg01 that has no logical extents on it . YOu can do that by either running vgdisdplay -v on vg01 or by running pvdisplay -v on all the disks in vg01 .

Once you have found that out , take that disk/LUN out of vg01 by doing a vgreduce and then add it to vg00 by doign a vgextend vg00 on that disk . That should give you enough physical extents .

THis is the simplest way .
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor
Solution

The physical disk that contains vg00 is maxed out. You would be unable to take space from vg01 and transfer to vg00.

Some of the LVs in vg00 you can manipulate but others you cannot (/var). One thing you can do is shift some of the vg00 stuff (/var/adm/crash as an example) to another disk thereby freeing up some room on vg00.

Look into vg00 to see if there is stuff you can get rid of. You might have the space if you delete or truncate some of the stuff.

MattJ123
Frequent Advisor

I'm going to move the filesystem over to a different volume group. The different volume group has sufficient space.