Operating System - HP-UX
1753872 Members
7640 Online
108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Root Volume no disk space

David Rowe

Root Volume no disk space

Root volume is 1024 Mb which grossly over sized for it's contents.
It reports however that the file system is full. I am confident that it is indeed not full.
vx_nospace - /dev/root

Root volumes are mirrored to another disk

In the past i have rebuilt the server from an ignite tape (which was taken from this server exactly as it is now) and then it correctly reports disk usage at about 15%

I am not sure what event led to this, i didn't do a tape restore etc.
How can i correct this without having to rebuild the server?
Many Thanks.
Bill
5 REPLIES 5
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

Re: Root Volume no disk space

Start by analyzing the root filesystem:

du -kx / | sort -rn | head -20

That will show the largest directories (don't be concerned abut files yet). The largest directories will be /sbin and /etc but both should be under 50megs. Post the results and we can look at the directory sizes.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Ivan Ferreira
Honored Contributor

You can also run:

find / -xdev -exec ls -l {} \; |sort +4 -nrb |head -10

To get the top 10 files in size. Verify if you can delete some of the reported files.
Por que hacerlo dificil si es posible hacerlo facil? - Why do it the hard way, when you can do it the easy way?
Hoang Chi Cong_1
Honored Contributor

Hi
first of all, you need to find out which file has large size:

find / -xdev -type f -size +1000 -exec ll {} \;

Then you can check for these large file and remove them if these file are unnecesary.

1024 Mb is enough for root filesystem in all most system.

Hope this helps
Hoang Chi Cong
Looking for a special chance.......
David Rowe

Thanks all for the advice,

and scondly, an apology... I have found it!

my data volumes are VxVM volumes and are replicated with Veritas Volume replicator.
I had a disk failure a couple of days ago and VxVM reportedly attempted to reallocate the volume, but failed. I thought nothing of it at the time, got the disk replaced and rebuilt my mirror.
I have just realised that there was a data directory listed in the root volume, it should not have been there as the volume is to be unmounted while replication is on!
I removed the 'dodgy' directory and i have recovered all my space.

Thanks again for your help, i wouldn't have found it without looking at it with a new command like du -kx.
Sivakumar TS
Honored Contributor

Hi,

Check for any core file and delete.

also pls check if you have a separate /tmp filesystem or it is a part of root filessystem itself. In that case we may looose lot of space it that.

With Regards,

Siva.
Nothing is Impossible !