New Discussion

SLVM VG on a Non-Clustered System??

SOLVED
Go to solution
Guna_2
Regular Advisor

SLVM VG on a Non-Clustered System??

Hello All,

Can we create a shared VG on a Non-Clustered(Service Guard) system using SLVM. I was trying to create a VG and trying conver the VG to sharable using vgchange -S y vgname. It was througing error and i could only create the Shared VG after making my system part of cluster and used vgchange -c y -S y vgname.

any comment??

Thanks in advance.

Guna

4 REPLIES 4
melvyn burnard
Honored Contributor

Re: SLVM VG on a Non-Clustered System??

The simple answer is NO, as the Shared ability (vgchange -S option) can only be used once yiou have Serviceguard, and in fact also Serviceguard Extensions for RAC, installed. The SGeRAC portion allows the sharing across multiple nodes and ACTIVE across multiple nodes concurrently

My house is the bank's, my money the wife's, But my opinions belong to me, not HP!
Guna_2
Regular Advisor

Hey, Cool.. 

Thats fine. Lets assume, if the DBA is looking to configure RCA with ASM, but not interested to buy Service Guard. If so what would be best option for the shared VG?? 

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor
Solution

A VG of HP-UX LVM cannot be shared if there is no Serviceguard.

So you would have to stop using LVM altogether and implement your disks as ASM-on-raw-disk... assuming that this is supported by Oracle on HP-UX; I don't think it would be wise to build a RAC installation using unsupported solutions.

(For some small-scale development/testing, it might be just barely tolerable with great warnings and disclaimers if you absolutely cannot afford a supported solution; for production or any kind of large-scale deployments, definitely not!!!)

If you're running HP-UX 11.31, ASM should be able to use the new-style /dev/rdisk/disk* devices just fine; on 11.23 or older, if you have multipathed storage, you would need something that can present the multipathed LUNs as single path-independent devices. As far as I know, ASM wants to see only 1 device per actual LUN.

Of course, by leaving out the LVM, your disk management will be restricted to whatever the shared storage system can offer. With a large enterprise SAN storage system, this might not be an issue; with a small "dumb" box of disks, this might cause a lot of extra headaches.

MK
Guna_2
Regular Advisor

Thanks Guys for the info :) :)