Go to solution
Ashwani Kashyap
Honored Contributor

Scary vgdisplay

7 REPLIES 7
Lawrence Mahan
Frequent Advisor

Re: Scary vgdisplay

This looks like a hardware problem. EIther bad drives. bad controler, or bad cables.

First try this command
ioscan -fnC disk
See if any of the drive are not CLAIMED

Next try this command on each of the drives
diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c?t??d?
This should give you good info for each drive.

Next try this command on each of the drives
dd if=/dev/rdsk/c?t??d? of=/dev/null bs=1024K
This will give read error on any bad drives. The dd command takes a LONG time to run so use it only on the suspect drives.
Andreas Voss
Honored Contributor

Hi,

just a note to Larry's reply:
add count=1 at the end of the dd command to prevent dd hanging longer.

Regards

use ioscan -fnC disk to check that disks are
claimed by the system. If they are
Check that disk entries in /etc/lvmtab match the physical disk entries displayed by vgisplay.
If they match try reactivating the volume group
vgchange -a y
then run vgsync

use ioscan -fnC disk to check that disks are
claimed by the system. If they are
Check that disk entries in /etc/lvmtab match the physical disk entries displayed by vgisplay.
If they match try reactivating the volume group
vgchange -a y
then run vgsync
Devbinder Singh Marway
Valued Contributor
Solution

Another thing to try is syncing one logical volume (lvsync /dev/vg09/lvol1) see if it suncs correctly ( try each one ) or do the whole lot vgsync (volgroup) and then check if you have any stale partitions. You could have a hard disk problem , check if any of the disks have been replaced before and which disks , because if your mirror copy disks have been replaced , the actual problem may be on the primary disk hence stale partitions ( if this is the case make sure you have good backups)

The other thing to check is the firmware revison of the disks , ( nb:- what type of disk enclosure have you got installed )

do diskinfo -v /dev/rdsk/c9t3d0 and note the rev level ( do for each disk ) , log a call with HP and confirm if disk firmware need upgrading .

Seek and you shall find
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Devbinder may be on to something.
What you have to determine is what was the plan. Who ever did this, they were either trying to set up mirror drives to first drives -OR- they were trying to add more drives to the original volgroup.
My guess looks like they messed up trying to add mirrors....and that is why I am leaning towards Devbinder's suggestion. Obviously from the file you supplied these last 3 drives are doing 'diddly' right now...so you can either mirror them, then sync then up with the primaries...(which would be my choice for you may wonder what other problems you might encounter) or I'd remove them and put them back in (so I was sure they were solid..)
Just a thought,
Rita C Workman
Honored Contributor

Woops,,,,sorry,those 3 are in use. So don't reduce...I still lean for mirror.