108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Service Guard 11.16 with hp-ux 11.11

SOLVED
Go to solution
Paul Bertino
Frequent Advisor

Service Guard 11.16 with hp-ux 11.11

I have a vg01 on a san. I have received additional space on the san. How do I extend the lvols in the vg01 to grow the disk size?
5 REPLIES 5
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor

Hi Paul,

Do you mean that the LUN that contains VG01 has been extended? If that is the case the safest way (in my opinion) would be to backup the data and re-create VG01.

The disk size is recognised at creation, so if the LUN is extended then VG01 will not know about the extra space. You can always add additional LUN's to VG01.

If VG01 has spare space you can always "lvextend" the logical volume.
(umount - lvextend - extendfs - mount)

If you have Online JFS you can grow the logical volume without umounting it.
(lvextend - fsadm)

Hope that helps,

Mike.
Paul Bertino
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Mike. I need to clarify more. The current vg01 has almost maxed out. I have been given more space on the san. This additional space has not been configured yet. It has a different map on the san. I have 5 lvols in vg01 I want to add 12gb to from this new LUN. I appericate your assistance. Thanks
Mike Shilladay
Esteemed Contributor
Solution

Hi Paul,

In that case, as I understand, you will need to extend the Volume Group VG01 to include the new LUN. So for you to use the extra space of the new LUN presented, you will need to do a few extra commands. Since you have this in a cluster, you will need to do identify the LUN on all the other nodes that use the service on VG01.

To get the server to recognise the new disks issue the commands:

ioscan -fn
insf -e

The server should now be aware of the additional LUN.

Use the pvcreate command to initialise the disk.

e.g. pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c6t0d5

Use the vgextend command to add the additional LUN to VG01

e.g. vgextend /dev/vg01 /dev/dsk/c6t0d5

Now you should have your 12GB of extra space in the volume group VG01.

Use the lvextend command to add space to your logical volumes as stated in first response.

Once you have completed extending your volume groups you will need to export the volume group and import on all other nodes. Each node that needs to see VG01 you should run the commands:

ioscan -fn
insf -e

This allows each node to discover the additonal LUN.

** NOTE ** - The disk devices are almost always not the same, even on identical servers, so be careful when importing the volume group on other nodes in your cluster.

Sorry if I have overstated the commands, I do not know the depth of your knowledge.

Post again if you need some more assistance.

Hope that helps,

Mike.
Paul Bertino
Frequent Advisor

I will try it. Thanks Mike and have a good day!
Paul Bertino
Frequent Advisor

Hi Mike,

Once again. I am ready to do this today and my concern is will exporting this to my other node effect service guard configuratio, like deleting it? I lack experience in this area. We have a live system and can all this be done while the application is being used? Will I have to bring the system down? I will need to create a new lovl13 for backups and add the additional 12gig to the remainning lov's on 3 disks. Thanks for your help.