New Discussion юеВ

Storage Managers

SOLVED
Go to solution
Sonison James
Frequent Advisor

Storage Managers

Hello All,

I would like to know about storage managers apart from the native LVM. For these I need to find the following:

1. Free space on a file system
2. Relation between a file system and the physical drive (mapping between file systems and physical drives)

I would like to know if there are APIs for the above, commands would also be helpful.

Thanks and regards
Sonison James
6 REPLIES 6
twang
Honored Contributor

Re: Storage Managers

LVM enables partitions(logical volumes) - to span disk drives, thereby balancing I/O loads and allowing the max size of partition to expand beyond a single disk drive. LVM allow disk mirroring via MirrorDisk/UX.
It provides ability to dynamically expand, contract, and move logical volumes between disks. LVM provides a way to combine one or more disks into a pool of available space(volume group), that pool can be subdivided into customized logical volumes to hold database, filesystems, swap space...
there are 4 principal objects to be dealt with when working with LVM, disk(physical volumes - disks are vonverted to PV through pvcreate), volume group poo the PV into a large virtual space from logical volumes, VG are created and assigned a number of disks with vgcreate. LVs are created with lvcreate.
Con O'Kelly
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi Sonison

I saw your earlier post that Michael Tully answered and I'm not sure what you're after.
For HP-UX, the only real alternative to LVM is Veritas Volume Manager.

Free space on a filesystem is determined by commands such as bdf or df -k. You use the same commands regardless of the Volume/Storage manager you are using.

What exactly do you mean by Storage Managers, are we talking Backup products such as NetBackup, OmniBack etc.

Cheers
Con
Sonison James
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

I was looking for volume managers that use SDS, hard partitions etc apart from the native LVM.

I am using LVM specific commands like lvdisplay, pvdisplay etc to get the relation between logical volumes and physical volumes. I wanted to know about similar commnads for the other volume managers.

Thanks and regards
Sonison James
Con O'Kelly
Honored Contributor

Hi Sonison

I think hard partitions etc were used pre HP-UX 10.x & I know very little about them. I don't believe HP has the concept of slicing disks etc anymore.
I can't think of any reason why you would want to use this when you have LVM. I'm not aware of anyone running HP-UX 10.x/11.x systems that do not use either LVM or Veritas VM.
I'm not sure what you mean by SDS?

If you're after commands for Veritas Volume Manager, some of the more useful are vxassist, vxprint, vxdg.

Cheers
Con

PS Your points are very much appreciated by everyone but if you feel your questions have not been answered then there's no need to assign 10 points, quite acceptable to assign less points until someone answers your question satisfactorily.

Sunil Sharma_1
Honored Contributor

Hi,
about free space in File System you can use normal snmp becoz native HP UX 11.X mib gives that information and about relation between file system and physical drive there are few SRM tools available which can give you these information and they use there own custom build API.
these products like Veritas SAN point Control etc.

Sunil
*** Dream as if you'll live forever. Live as if you'll die today ***
Sonison James
Frequent Advisor

Hello,

Thanks for the information.

Regards
Sonison James