1753903 Members
9835 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Stripe

Guga
Occasional Advisor

Stripe

Hi, In my server, with HPUX 11iv1, there is a vg02 with 4 physical volumes and in this VG there are 3 lvols striped on these 4 pv's.
I need to put 3 new pv's in this vg and extend these lvol's. I can extend the vg02 using the command vgextend but I don't know if when I extend the lvols the stripe is extended too or I need to use special flags with the lvextend???
5 REPLIES 5
Victor BERRIDGE
Honored Contributor

Greetings

It depends on how/what kind of stripes the LVs use:
If you are talking of real stripes then you will have to add an extra PV for it will need 4 pvs to extend...or are you talking of PVG-strict/distributed allocation
Guga
Occasional Advisor

No I'm talking about a real stripe....I want put 3 pv's more in the vg02 but there are 3 lvols striped over the 4 pv's old and now I need to stripe these lvols over 7 pv's (4 old pv's and 3 new pv's)..I saw the man of the lvextend and I couldn't find any option to re-configure the stripe...
Hasan  Atasoy
Honored Contributor

hi guga ;
it is not possible to stripe without recreating your lv. if you have an extra phyical volume that can store your data on this striped volume than move your data to this disk , extend your vg to 7 disk and recreate lv ( as striped by 7 ) and move your org data to this lv.

Hasan.
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

You would have to add 4 pv's in order to be able to lvextend and maintian the striping...

Striped logical volumes are only allocated using the strict or PVG-
strict allocation policies. The number of extents for a striped
logical volume is always a multiple of the number of disks the logical
volume is striped across. A logical volume striped across n disks, is
allocated in sets of n extents, and each extent of a given set is allocated on a different physical volumes in the volume group.

So, if the lvol was created to stripe across 4 pv's - then you need to add 4 more pv's...

If that doesn't work, then you will have to recreate the lvol from scratch...with either 4 pv's or 8 for striping...

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

in your case the ideal scenario will be to do vgextend with the 4 more disk(multiple of 4 as the current LVs are striped across four) and do the the normal lvextend(-L newsize). New space will be allocated from four diff disks automatically.