1748119 Members
3316 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Suggestions on How to Use a 6 Disk Boot Subsystem on Large Servers

Alzhy
Honored Contributor

SEP.. could you point me to Bill Hassel's comments you're referring to in you reply?

So what really are the issues with an "enormous" root configuration? Is there an HP support issue at all on this? Will something break that we will be declined HP support or something?

Graci!
Hakuna Matata.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Nelson,

I can think of one rather large issue: OS upgrades!

Pete

Pete
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

Okay.

What issues will these pose to "OS Upgrades"? We have 6 disks remember...

Or I can actually emulate Solaris Howard-Trantham technique which incorporate LiveUpgrade in the mix...

Hakuna Matata.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Nelson,

OS upgrades my or may not work, depending on how SD reacts to your layout. It may well handle it without a problem but I don't see what you're attempting to gain here. The only advantage you've mentioned is "we won;t have to worry about system filesystems filling up... ". With the amount of space you've got to make generously proportioned filesystems, I can't imagine you would have any issues with things filling up.

My 2 cents say that you're bucking the tide for no good reason, but that's all it is - just an opinion.

Pete

Pete
Alzhy
Honored Contributor

May or may not work during OS upgrades? -- Well we are at 11i (11.11 v 1.0).. will there actually be cases (or do you guys) -- upgrade an OS?

Oh... how about - "just plain simple practical" and there "are just no compelling reasons to have the traditional / /usr /opt /etc /usr/local /home /whatever" in addition to what I've outlined... Unless someone could come up with very logical reasons to go with the traditionalist aproach... why create separate filesystems that you will end up expanding in the future anyways??

Remember: we are not putting any other HP or non-HP software on these disks - so no dynamic directories (filesystems) will ever exist. And /var will still be a separate partition -- of course!

Hakuna Matata.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Nelson,

Sound to me like you've talked yourself right into it. Since few, if any, of us have ever found reason to try such a thing, you'll have to let us know what difficulties, if any, you run into.

Good luck!

Pete

Pete