Operating System - HP-UX
1752802 Members
5459 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Total Physical Disk storage space Size ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gulam Mohiuddin
Regular Advisor

Total Physical Disk storage space Size ?

Over period of time we have added losts of new Physical disks of different sizes in our V 2500 System which run HP-UX 11.

Now I want to know how to find out exactly how much physical disk storage space we have and how much is mirrored or in logical volumes

Thanks,

Gulam.

Everyday Learning.
8 REPLIES 8
Rick Garland
Honored Contributor
Solution

Various commands such as vgdisplay, lvdisplay, etc, can help you in this quest. If you have perl 5 installed, I have attached a perl script that will detail the info for you as well.

It will tell you how much total space is available, how much is used, to which logical volumes, what is stripped and/or mirrored and to what, what the alt links are, etc...
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

There are two ways to obtain this information. The first is through SAM's Disks and Filesystems.

The second way is the direct, command approach and uses 'pvdisplay' to query physical disks; 'vgdisplay' to query volume groups; and 'lvdisplay' to query logical volumes.

# pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c?t?d?

This command displays information about the physical disk -- physical extent size and the number of physical extents allocated and available. If the MirrorUX product has been installed, pvdisplay returns information about the the number of extents that are not current.

# vgdisplay -v /dev/vg??

The vgdisplay command returns information about a volume group. The command tells what physical volumes make up the group, the total physical extents comprising all physical volumes in the volume group, the maximum number of physical volumes allowed in the group (Max PV), and the maximum number or limit of physical extents that can be allocated from any of the physical volumes in the volume group (Max PE per PV). If MirrorUX software is installed, and mirroring enabled, vgdisplay also returns information about the logical volume status such as available/stale or available/syncd.

# lvdisplay /dev/vg??/lvol?

When MirrorUX is installed, lvdisplay provides information about the the state of the logical volume -- available/stale or available/syncd, etc. along with the number of mirrors (0,1,2). lvdisplay also returns the size of the logical volume in megabytes, the number and size of stripes (if used), and the allocation policy for each extent (contiguous, strict, etc.).

For a full description of each command, see the man 1M pages for pvdisplay, vgdisplay and lvdisplay. See also, the other LVM commands referenced by these pages -- e.g. pvcreate, vgcreate, vgextend, vgreduce, vgremove, lvcreate, lvextend, lvreduce & lvremove.

...JRF...
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

You may also want to get a copy of Xvg. It draws you a picture of your disc layout. It should be available on the HP web somewhere.
Sanjay Dudeja

The best way to find out disk size is by using diskinfo command.

eg /usr/sbin/diskinfo /dev/rdsk/c0t11d0

CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

If you don't have perl 5 installed, try this attached script from Andreas Voss.
You can run a printout of you LVM configurations from this script.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Andy Monks
Honored Contributor

You can get Xvg from :-

ftp://contrib:9unsupp8@hprc.external.hp.com/sysadmin/xvg
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

This is my script.

I always do links from oracle datafiles to raw devices.

unsupported
Carlos Fernandez Riera
Honored Contributor

This is my script.

I always do links from oracle datafiles to raw devices.

unsupported