5061 Online
108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Trouble Creating VG's

Andre Franklin
Advisor

Trouble Creating VG's

Hello,

I am very new to Unix and I am having a great deal of trouble creating volume groups in HP-UX 11.11 via the commandline and or SAM.

I am getting the following error:
"/dev/vg01" could not be created. VGRA for the disk is too big for the specified parameters. Increase the extent size or decrease max_PVs/max_LVs and try again.

My problem is I do not know by what amount to increase my extent size or what amount to decrease the max PV/LV's to.

How do I determine what the appropriate increase or decrease would be?
3 REPLIES 3
Sharma Sanjeev
Respected Contributor

Re: Trouble Creating VG's

Hi

You can use default values
just do

vgcreate vg_name disk_path

Regards
Sanjeev
Everything is Possible as " IMPOSSIBLE" word itself says I M POSSIBLE
Andre Franklin
Advisor

I got the following messages:

Increased the number of physical extents per physical volume to 35003.

vgcreate: Volume group "/dev/vg01" could not be created: VGRA for the disk is too big for the specified parameters. Increase the extent sixe or decrease max_PVs/max_LVs and try again.
Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Please see the LVM limits whitepaper:

http://docs.hp.com/en/6054/LVM_Limits_White_Paper_V4.pdf

It includes a shell script that can create a small "vgrasize" utility for calculating some of the parameters.

If you need to create a very large VG and/or prepare for extension in the future, you wish to use as large extents as possible. The only reason to *not* use maximum-size extents would be if you need to allocate very small LVs for some reason. As the size of a LV is always a multiple of the extent size, larger extents = higher granularity in LV size allocation.

In HP-UX 11.11 and 11.23, the maximum supported PV size is 2 TeB. If your PE size is 64 MeB, that requires a MaxPE value of 32768; with a PE size of 128 MeB, the required MaxPE value would be 16384; and with 256 MeB extents, the respective MaxPE would be 8192.

MK
MK