New Discussion юеВ

Unable to umount NFS file system

SOLVED
Go to solution
Patricia Cordeiro
Occasional Advisor

Unable to umount NFS file system

Hi,
I'm trying to umount a NFS file system, and it returns "not mounted", but it shows in bfd and when I try to mount it again I get the error message "... is already mounted on...".
I already tried stopping and starting nfs.client, but got the same results. Any ideas?
12 REPLIES 12
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: Unable to umount NFS file system

Sorry to say: I think you'll end up having to reboot.

Pete

Pete
Suresh Patoria
Super Advisor

Hi,

Please check the any user using the file system

fuser -cu /<>

if it is there then pls kill

fuser -ku /<>

Thanx
Patricia Cordeiro
Occasional Advisor

That's what I usually do whenever it happens, but I can't boot this server now, so I was hoping for some alternative...
Thanks.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

I have rarely had much luck in these situations. Running fuser usually shows up nothing. You can try lsof, available here:

http://hpux.connect.org.uk/hppd/hpux/Sysadmin/lsof-4.69/

Pete

Pete
Zeev Schultz
Honored Contributor

Could it be:
a)automounter , some of your processes is trying to access this directory constantly?
b)run from NFS server 'showmount' check that
client is not listed there.If it does - it's mounted (or pretends to look mounted :)
c)if not, try removing /etc/mnttab , run mount -v and bdf.

And by the way is everything ok with NFS server? (run 'rpcinfo ' from client), ps -ef | egrep 'lockd|statd|mountd|nfsd'. Also check that statd and lockd are

So computers don't think yet. At least not chess computers. - Seymour Cray
Jakes Louw
Trusted Contributor

When you started & stopped the nfs client, did you check that RPC also got whacked?
Trying is the first step to failure - Homer Simpson
Patricia Cordeiro
Occasional Advisor

Hi,
Well, fuser shows no one, I'll try installing lsof.
The NFS server shows this file system mounted on this client. There are other file systems from the same NFS server mounted on this client, and they are all ok.

rpcinfo on the client is ok, and rpc.statd and rpc.lockd are up.

Any more ideas?
Todd McDaniel_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

One thing I havent seen mentioned is to comment out the entry in /etc/fstab then let the system cycle.

One trick that works, but you must be FAST!, is to rm /etc/mnttab or delete the entry for the mountpoint from /etc/mnttab

This will allow you a 10 second window or so to umount it... but comment out of /etc/fstab first...
Unix, the other white meat.
Patricia Cordeiro
Occasional Advisor

Thanks a lot Todd, that actually worked!
I was fast and then able to mount the file system. Problem is that now it is mounted twice (if I issue another umount it works, but only for the last mounted, the original still can not be umounted).
So, the problem is not solved, but I can at least use the file system until the server can be rebooted.
Rgds, Patricia.