VG Extend

SOLVED
Go to solution
Vipin Singhal
Super Advisor

VG Extend

Hi,
If I have online JFS, Then can I extend the VG while database is running?
Thanks
Vipin
7 REPLIES 7
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VG Extend

Yes
--
Jeff Traigle
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

Yes you can.

But online JFS is for the filesystem - even if you didn't have it you can always extend a VG.

Rgds...Geoff
Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.
DCE
Honored Contributor

You can extend the VG anytime.

You need online JFS if you wish to extend the LV while the database in online

Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

You can use vgextend anytime but only need online jfs to perform lvextend (logical volume) and fsadm (filesystem).
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Gerrit_1
Advisor

no problem.

pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c*t*d*
vgextend /dev/vg**** /dev/dsk/
vgextend /dev/vg**** /dev/dsk/
vgdisplay -v /dev/vg****
done

I have a vision...... a television
Vipin Singhal
Super Advisor

Thanks everybody.
Vipin
Jeff_Traigle
Honored Contributor

Actually, to clarify a little bit, you may or may not need OnlineJFS at all in your case. As Geoff mentioned, OnlineJFS is only used to extend file systems that are mounted.

So, you can always extend your VGs because they don't affect file systems. You can add and extend LVs. If your database is using raw LV devices, you should be able to extend those perfectly fine without OnlineJFS too. (I just did that for a system running Informix and had no reports of catastrophe.) When you would need OnlineJFS is if the database was using file systems for the database files instead of raw devices. Without it in that case, you'd need to shut down the database and unmount the file system to do extendfs.
--
Jeff Traigle