VG Naming....

SOLVED
Go to solution
Rg_4
Advisor

VG Naming....

Dear all,
pls clear my doubt...
Can we create a VG with name other than default name like VG00, VG01 etc. If yes then assume a Volume group named VGROOT is created. Then what would be its minor no..

Ragesh
4 REPLIES 4
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: VG Naming....

Hi Ragesh:

> Can we create a VG with name other than default name like VG00, VG01 etc. If yes then assume a Volume group named VGROOT is created. Then what would be its minor no.

You can if you want. The minor number of a volume group must be unique and when you are not running 11.31 the number chosen must be one-less than the 'maxvgs' kernel parameter (which is a maximum value, zero-relative). In 11.31, the 'maxvgs' parameter is obsolete and acts as if it had a value of 255.

Regards!

...JRF...

As JRF says, you can call em whatever you like - as long as they are under /dev and have a group file with a unique minor number they can be called anything...

What I would caution you about though, is that I have seen scripts written by inexperienced admins which *assume* that every volume group is called vgNN or even that every volume group starts with vg...

If you are confident you have none of those on your system, call your VG whatever you like!

HTH

Duncan

I am an HPE Employee
Accept or Kudo
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor
Solution

The process of making the VG's minor number the same as the VG name (VG00 = 0x000000 ; VG01 =0x010000) is not required by the system, but is common practice as it makes tracking VGs easier.

If your VGROOT is the 2nd VG your create, then just make its minor number 0x010000, or whatever is not already in use.
Rg_4
Advisor

Thanks all 4 your valuable replies