5867 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VG01 not mounting after reboot

Tracie Davis
Contributor

VG01 not mounting after reboot

Hi All,

I am using a HP900/J210xc/770 10.20 box. I was going to remove an external scsi drive which had a lv on it. Then I changed my mind. When I connected it back up and rebooted the system, the system will not come back on line unless I turn that drive off. It sat at the "looking of LVM that are available" and never moved. The lights on the external drive is flickering on and off like its trying to do something. Why isn't it not mounting anymore? How can I fix this problem?
This external disk drive contains some online backups I created. Nothing that the system needs.

Please help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
4 REPLIES 4
Manju Kampli
Trusted Contributor

Make sure you have connected the external drive properlly tp the system.some times the SCSI PINS may get bent or broken and switch on the external disk first and then the system.

Abort the system booting HP-UX. at ISL prompt type check whether you can see the external drive. If the drive is not getting sensed, then there could some hardware problem. If the drive get sensed, boot the HPUX and run ioscan and check whether unix can see the drive. if all the above are OK you should be able to mount the disk.

try performing "diskinfo" command on the external disk as well
Never stop "LEARNING"
ESC Team
Advisor

Tracie,

Log a HP support call.
OR try these if you can:
Assumption: You have not removed the external scsi cable to your External disk(s).

1. Boot into single-user mode.
2. Does "ioscan -fnC disk" pick up your External disk? If it doen't pick up your disk
check physical connection. led lights error etc.. Log a HW call with HP.

3. If so "ioscan" is ok, "vgdisplay -v vg01". If it works, check the PV status. If unavailable, use "vgchange -a y /dev/vg01".

4. Try to manually mount if vgchange is good.
Hopefully no more errors.
5. Reboot system and let system boot per normal.

Julia Do
HP
ESC Team
CHRIS ANORUO
Honored Contributor

Check the scsi adapter pins if any is boken or bent. Did you change the scsi address? I hope you have a previous print out of ioscan to enable you set the jumpers to the right id.
When We Seek To Discover The Best In Others, We Somehow Bring Out The Best In Ourselves.
Mark Mitchell
Trusted Contributor

Shut everything down and check connections first, make sure they are tight and in the original order. Then I would power up the disks and wait for them to spin up and finish their internal checks. Once that is done, then start the server. The only other time I have seen this happen is when one of the drives scsi terminator wasn't placed on all of the open spots.