1752683 Members
5464 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: VXVM boot disk

Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

VXVM boot disk

How do I replace a vxvm boot disk with a larger disk on hp-ux 11.23 Itanium? I need to extend the root and stand filesystems.
9 REPLIES 9
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

If you need to extend root and stand filesystem isezes then the best way is to take ignite backup and then while restoring make changes to the sizes of root and stand.

Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Thanks, using ignite means downtime. I would like to keep the system up as long as possible and reboot once onto the new disk
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

It's not possible to make changes to the size of root/ stand without bringing down the server.
So create ignite backup and as and when new disk is available plan this activity. This would be best and safe way of doing this.
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Surely there is a way of duplicating the system disk onto another disk and then just rebooting to the new disk?
Patrice Le Guyader
Respected Contributor

hello peter,

You can use vxdiskadm to mirror the root disk.

You first choose option 1 to add the disk to the rootdg and then choose option 5 to mirror the volumes on the disk.

To do it through command line, try this.

1.) vxdisksetup -iB cxtydz (To initialise disk under Volume manager)
2.) vxdg -g rootdg adddisk rootdisk=cxtydz ( To add the disk to the Disk Group)
3.) vxrootmir -v -b -R cxtydz ( To create the mirror)

With cxtydz the mirror disk. I don't use it as system disk on HPUX, only on solaris so I hope it's enough to be able to boot on the mirror.

Hope this helps
Kenavo
Pat
Good judgement comes with experience. Unfortunately, the experience usually comes from bad judgement.
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

"Surely there is a way of duplicating the system disk onto another disk and then just rebooting to the new disk?"

Of course you can *duplicate* the disk, but the size of stand and root will be the same!

To increase it, you should use ignite, backup your data, adjust the values and restore.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

Thanks Patrice, HP-UX has a command vxrootmir which will create a bootable backup of the system disk for you. Using vxbrk_rootmir you can separate them again and you have two copies of the root disk. The trick is /stand and root are contiguos so you cannot just expand them without making space. I have the procedure to create a boot disk with LVM but not with VXVM and I know it can be done. Is there no one out there that has done this before and documented it? Besides using Ignite backup.
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

I never came across a way that talks about increasing root and stand without rebooting the server once.... ( either it is LVM or Vxvm)...

There are lots of conditions if they met then it might be possible to increase, like if there is some space available between stand and swap then stand can be increased to that size.

Else the other way is to boot in lvm maintenance and then remove swap increase stand then recreate swap...

You told us that you have procedure of it doing with LVM, could you please share it with us.....( I have never seen such a doc).
Peter Marais
Frequent Advisor

I am prepared to reboot the system to the newly created larger disk. Remember we are working with VXVM here. The procedure to do it on LVM you will find at:
http://h21007.www2.hp.com/dspp/tech/tech_TechSingleTipDetailPage_IDX/1,2366,5343,00.html

This will tell you how to mirror a disk. To modify the filesystem size I attach a file.