108781 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Veritas VxVM Disk Issue

SOLVED
Go to solution
MikeL_4
Super Advisor

Veritas VxVM Disk Issue

I have received the following Veritas disk failures, but the OS, HP-UX 11.11, does not see the disk as failing....
Is there something within Veritas that needs to be addressed ?

I can re-initialize the disk and put it back into service and not have any issues...

Failures have been detected by the VERITAS Volume Manager:
failed disks: ignitedg04
failed plexes: sourceslv-01
The Volume Manager will attempt to find spare disks, relocate failed subdisks and then recover the data in the failed plexes.
4 REPLIES 4
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: Veritas VxVM Disk Issue

Mike,

could you give us a bit more info, like are these internal disks or luns from a san/nas etc.

Could you test the disk with dd.

# vxdisk list
find the device file of the affected disk

# dd if=/dev/rdsk/cxtydz of=/dev/null bs=1024k

watch your dmesg/syslog.log for errors.

Regards,
Robert-Jan
john123
Trusted Contributor

Hi..,

http://seer.entsupport.symantec.com/docs/184960.htm

A small i/o timeout in the LUN can cause the flag of the disk to be set as failed.Confirm there was no scsi i/o time outs

chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Hi Mike,

With vxvm always provide the following info.

#vxdisk -o alldgs list
(cut&paste relevant info)
#vxprint -ht
(cut&paste relevant info)

In youre case, I suppose the above message is logged to the root mailbox, check the timestamp of the message and check if any relevant scsi/vxvm messages are logged around this time in the (OLD)syslog.log.

Best Regards,
Chris
MikeL_4
Super Advisor

Found the issue from Veritas, that I hit a bug.....

With the release of VERITAS Volume Manager 3.5, 128 Kbytes of disk space in the beginning of a disk are reserved for the cross-platform data sharing feature. As the result of this, the public region length (usable length of the disk device) is miscalculated, and Volume Manager may create subdisks that extend beyond the end of the underlying physical disk, possibly compromising data availability.

Disks need to be re-initialized AFTER Update3 or 4 patches have been installed...

1. Make sure the one of the following patches has been installed:

PHKL_30756 or 33356 or 34254 or 35292 or 25816 or 36529 or 36995

If not, you might want to download and install PHKL_36995 and dependencies patches from itrc.hp.com. A reboot is required after patch installation.

2. Then you can re-initialize Disks effected...