108792 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VxVM boot disks

SOLVED
Go to solution
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

VxVM boot disks

hp-ux 11.11 with mirrored 2 boot disks A and B under VxVM. Planning upgrade OS to 11.23 say with cold install. 2 scenarios:
split the mirror before cold install:
1. If install new OS on A disk failed, will system boot from old os from disk B?
2. how can we mount all file systems on disk B if cold install is good?
mirror is kept and new OS is on disk A:
1. system should boot up from disk B should cold install OS failed, correct?
2. If new install is successful, once VxVM enabled, will disk B auto sync to disk A and lose all old OS on disk B as flag on disk B is set to auto import?
Basically I am looking for a solid back out path and mountable old os file systems.

Thank you for sharing your expertise.
4 REPLIES 4
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: VxVM boot disks

1. make a backup first. preferably Ignite.
2. split the mirror disks.
3. perform the cold install on one of the disks.
4. if all is well then setup a new mirrored root disk.
5. if all goes bad, reboot, interrupt the boot process and boot of the other disk.

you could also pull the other disk before you do the upgrade if you wanted to. i probably would.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

John,

Please make sure to give Court at least a couple of points. He's about to get his first hat!! It looks remarkably similar to yours.

Pete

Pete
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Thanks Pete, I have been thinking about that hat all week. I can't sleep.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
John Guster
Trusted Contributor

Think only this hat is the coolest one to have on one's head walking out of any door. Nothing else is.
Congratulation Court!