108796 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

VxVM w/ DMP

SOLVED
Go to solution
D Block 2
Respected Contributor

VxVM w/ DMP

Can someone explain DMP vs EMC's Powerpath s/w ? We are planning to use DMP, any issues on HPUX 11i ?
Golf is a Good Walk Spoiled, Mark Twain.
4 REPLIES 4
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

Re: VxVM w/ DMP

I got some info in the following thread,

http://mailman.eng.auburn.edu/pipermail/veritas-vx/2000-October/000757.html

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
Karthik S S
Honored Contributor

But why not consider the natvice "Securepath" product??

http://h18006.www1.hp.com/products/sanworks/secure-path/index.html

-Karthik S S
For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve the quality of life, please press three. - Alice Kahn
D Block 2
Respected Contributor

I forgot to mention we have VxVM 3.5 on Superdome and will connect to DMX2000.
Golf is a Good Walk Spoiled, Mark Twain.
David Child_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

First, since you are using a DMX2000 you will not be able to use HP's SecurePath as suggested. It only supports HP storage products.

As for DMP vs. PowerPath: We don't use VxVM on HP here so PowerPath is used on our HP/EMC systems. It performs very well and we have never had any issues.

On the Solaris side we of course use VxVM and in some cases we use DMP and others we use PowerPath. We have had better luck with PowerPath on Clariion arrays than with DMP, but that was VxVM 3.1 so maybe things have gotten better.

I believe you need to get an additional license to use DMP with HP-UX as the base VxVM that comes with HP-UX does not include DMP. I don't know how much that extra license is, but if its close to the cost of PowerPath I would choose the PowerPath. It's easy to configure and since its an EMC product it can get a little more out of the DMX1000 than DMP can.

David