1752565 Members
5657 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: Vxfs version 5 & 6 disk layout

Kishore Gowda
Advisor

Vxfs version 5 & 6 disk layout

I am working on N-Class and RP-8440; both are configured identical with HP-UX 11.23 OS, Veritas 4.1 (VxFS & VxVM base packages)software, hw/sw patch bundles. I am creating filesystems using LVM commands (vgcreate, lvcreate, etc).. and I noticed that on RP-8440 the filesystem defaults to vxfs version 6 and in N-Class it defaults to vxfs version 5! Secondly, in N-Class there is no /sbin/fs/vxfs4.1 directory but this directory exists in RP-8440! How do I upgrade vxfs to version 6 in N-Class? I tried vxupgrade; but it only takes values <=5; so that is not an option! How do I re-install Veritas / LVM packages without starting from scratch? Thanks for your time.
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I'm afraid that you will have to install VxFS 4.1 to support a layout version 6. The installation guide notes, that "Installation of the VxVM 4.1 bundle on HP-UX 11i v2 removes the VxVM 3.5 components. If the VxVM 4.1 bundle is removed for any reason, the VxVM 3.5
bundle has to be re-installed on your system."

See:

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/5991-5346/5991-5346.pdf

Regards!

...JRF...
Kishore Gowda
Advisor

I already have VxFS 4.1 bundle installed on both NClass and RP8440 as follows:
Base-VXFS 4.1.002 VERITAS File System Bundle 4.1 for HP-UX
Base-VXVM B.04.10.011 Base VERITAS Volume Manager Bundle 4.1 for HP-UX
I don't know why the NClass server defaults to disk layout version 5?
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again):

I have not upgraded from 3.5 to 4.1 but rather cnly cold-installed 4.1. That said, see chapter-5, pages 33-35 of the installation guide; viz. the note that reads "Symbolic links to all Base-VXFS 4.1 command executables are installed in the
/opt/VRTS/bin directory. Add this directory to the end of your PATH
environment variable to access the commands."

Regards!

...JRF...
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

COuld you post "swlist -l product |egrep -i "vxfs|vxvm|veritas"

and "vxlicrep"
Kishore Gowda
Advisor

Hi - I have attached output of swlist and vxlicrep. Please note there is online JFS product installed on RP-8440; but no JFS on N-Class. Also, the swlist does not list VRTSvxfs (veritas filesystem) on NClass, but it exists on RP-8440. This was a new install of HP-UX 11.23 along with Veritas 4.1 on both systems. Thank you.
Kishore Gowda
Advisor

The issue has been resolved. The problem had to do with missing vxfs product on Nclass. As soon as vxfs was installed, I am able to create version 6 disk layout on Nclass. Although swlist -l bundle indicated there was "VxFS bundle" already installed, but "swlist -l product vxfs" confirmed that vxfs product was missing. Thanks for your help.