1752809 Members
6001 Online
108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: WARNING: vxvm: vxdmp: Unlicensed array S/N EB21 installed

Kevin_31
Regular Advisor

WARNING: vxvm: vxdmp: Unlicensed array S/N EB21 installed

vxvm: vxconfigd: ERROR: enable failed: Volboot file not loaded transactions are disabled
VxVM reconfiguration recovery: OK

this was in my rc.log.

Reading these links:

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0xaf20eea29889d611abdb0090277a778c,00.html

http://forums.itrc.hp.com/cm/QuestionAnswer/1,,0x421e06350fe2d61190050090279cd0f9,00.html

I'm confused as to whether Veritas VolMgr is now my default rather than good old LVM. I took the Jun 2002 11i CD and really just installed the defaults, did that include this new product? Did it assume I was ready to license some of the extra features rather than just the base product?

Here's what swlist says is on my newly installed box:

#
# Bundle(s):
#

B2491BA B.11.11 MirrorDisk/UX
B6826AA B.11.11.01.05 Partition Manager - HP-UX
BUNDLE11i B.11.11.0102.2 Required Patch Bundle for HP-UX 11i, Febr
uary 2001
Base-VXVM B.03.20.1 Base VERITAS Volume Manager 3.2 for HP-UX
HPUX11i-OE B.11.11.0206 HP-UX 11i Operating Environment Component

HPUXBase64 B.11.11 HP-UX 64-bit Base OS
HPUXBaseAux B.11.11.0206 HP-UX Base OS Auxiliary

etc.

I tried and can still run lvm commands such as lvcreate, vgdisplay, etc. so I'm not sure what this error message is on about. Points for helpful answers.

cheers,
Kevin
4 REPLIES 4
Jean-Louis Phelix
Honored Contributor

Kevin,

First of all, the VxVM rootability comes only with release 3.5 on Sep 02 CD ... So in your case, you can't have lost LVM !!!

Your messages are related to an installation problem. Your system tries to starts VxVM and fails. To avoid this, you could try (this file shouldn't exist if you use VxVM) :

touch /etc/vx/reconfig.d/state.d/install-db

Regards,

Jean-Louis.
It works for me (┬й Bill McNAMARA ...)
David O'Keefe
Occasional Advisor

I encountered the same message and tried the solution mentioned below (touch) and it worked.

fyi...I first noticed the error while trying to recover from a / at 100% problem...not sure if it's related
Dani Seely
Valued Contributor

Hey Kevin,
I saw your message posted and had to check it out because I've had this same problem. I was pretty freaked out when I got this message and thought I had blown away my logical volumes, but the simple 'touch' command works, just as Jean-Louis mentions. Did that not work for you? I was surprised that you only gave him 4 points for his answer and support, because that should be the answer to your problem. If you tried his suggestion and it didn't work, post your results so we can take a step back and look at this in another light. If it did work, you should give more credit, he just saved your bacon!
Together We Stand!
Kevin_31
Regular Advisor

Dani, perhaps I was too greedy with the points I withheld from Jean-Louis, but I think my reasoning was that I asked a number of questions and although the solution he offered worked, my questions were only partly answered.

no-one "saved my bacon" that time, to be exact as it was a test server which was complaining, it still booted and still worked fine--even before the helpful solution was used.

I happened to have become more generous with points (or perhaps better at asking more specific questions) in the questions I've been loggin since then.

If Jean-Louis would like to post a reply I'd be glad to give more points.