108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: What removes things from ioconfig?

SOLVED
Go to solution
Philip Kime
Regular Advisor

What removes things from ioconfig?

I have to swap over two fibre cards (to fix a non-redundant setup problem) and I'm trying to get a view on the device file changes. In ioconfig, the hardware path is mapped to ext_bus instance numbers and the hardware path is composed of the (VSA) component and the physical hardware path on the box (an rp8400). So, I'm pretty sure that the instance numbers will all change.

I'm just wondering under what circumstances ioconfig entries are *removed*? I was under the impression that they were never removed unless you use ioinit to alter the file?
3 REPLIES 3
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor

Hi Philip,

From the 'ioconfig' man page.

//The ioconfig file is created by insf at install time; and is modified by insf, rmsf, and ioscan when devices are added or removed (see insf(1M) , rmsf(1M) , and ioscan(1M) ).//

From the above, if you run 'rmsf' *effectively* (say using -a) option, then those corresponding entries should get deleted from ioconfig.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try
Philip Kime
Regular Advisor

Thanks - the -a flag for rmsf has always confused me because it doesn't actually mention ioconfig. So, does this

"Remove the definition of the device from the
system"

mean "remove the ioconfig entry and kernel entry"?
Sridhar Bhaskarla
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes. That's my understanding. Removing the definition from the system means removing it from ioconfig as kernel reads it during the next reboot to read the IO data structures from /stand/ioconfig.

-Sri
You may be disappointed if you fail, but you are doomed if you don't try