1753835 Members
7275 Online
108806 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: activiting online JFS license

A. Kay
Occasional Advisor

activiting online JFS license

I run into the Jun 24 issue with onlinejfs where it was reporting that the license is expired. I have since obtained a new license from HP and upon update I am having the the same error when i try to run fsadm even though vxlicense -p indicates i don't have the problem anymore.
The instruction indicated a reboot is not required hoeever when i rebooted one of my servers the problem went away and now i am able to extend my filesystem. I have another server that i cannot reboot since it is my production server.
Is there a daemon or process that i can stop and start to make the license active?

thanks.
8 REPLIES 8
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

What is your version of Online JFS? You probably need to update to a newer version.

Pete

Pete
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

And this is probably the definitive thread on the issue, identifying which versions need to be updated and how to check:

http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=1144586

Pete

Pete
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

If you have been bitten by the "June 24" OnlineJFS license bug, NO REBOOT should be necessary if you follow the instructions herein:

http://www.hp.com/softwarereleases/releases-media2/notices/June28_v12.pdf

...namely:

# swinstall -x autoselect_dependencies=false -x enforce_dependencies=false -s depotname

Regards!

...JRF...
S.Rider
Regular Advisor

Are you trying to extend using sam? We have had multiple occurances when OnlineJFS would NOT work under sam, but worked fine when you issued the commands outside of sam.
Ride Boldly Ride, but watch out for El Dorado's
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

There are several license reporting tools, some work with older versions, some with newer versions. The real test is to simply extend a test lvol using lvextend followed by fsadm -b. If the license doesn't work, fsadm will report that condition.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

An Update to all

Introduction

OnlineJFS is a set of enhancements for VxFS (VERITAS file system). There are three different VERITAS products for HP-UX relevant to this study.

JFS - BaseVxFS (VxFS)
Advanced JFS - OnlineJFS
Veritas Volume Manager - VxVM

VxFS is the standard file system (directories and files) for HP-UX. OnlineJFS allows for online resizing a VxFS file system without dismounting the file system.

VxVM is like LVM in that it partitions one or more disks. Both VxVM and LVM are available for supported versions of HP-UX.

A little more explanative

The "Base VxFS" does not need a separate license and that is included to the price of the basic HP-UX license.

For HP-UX 11.00, the Base VxFS version was 3.1. But we already have a more advanced version which is OnlineJFS 3.3.

In HP-UX 11.11, the version 3.3 became the basic version and still the OnlineJFS need to be purchased separately. The next advanced version of Base VxFS is 3.5 and again the OnlineJFS need to be purchased separately.

When HP-UX 11.23 was released version 3.5 became the new basic version and the new advanced version is 4.1. But in September 2006 HP made the decision to ship all new 11.23 OE media with 4.1 as the basic one.

xxx has three HP-UX 11.23 servers listed below with JFS version B.11.23 (which is Base VxFS version 3.5) and OnlineJFS version B.11.23.0512 (0512 stands for December 2005). HP's OnlineJFS is always a purchased product.

OnlineJFS license expiration problem is only with media kit of Jun 2005 or older. Our HP-UX 11.23 hosts won├Г┬в├В ├В t be affected as we are just on the safe side. Also i had already tested the OnlineJFS function which is working fine as expected.

Vxlicense was the old license reporting tool prior to the version 3.5 and vxlicrep is the new reporting tool. So vxlicrep is the right tool for HP-UX 11.23 servers. .

Old Command New Equivalent

Vxlicense -c vxlicinst
Vxlicense -p vxlicrep
Vxlicense -t vxlictest

:root [/sbin/fs/vxfs] vxlictest -n "VERITAS File System" -l
HP_OnlineJFS

:root [/sbin/fs/vxfs] vxlictest -k 3JZH-CNP6-DP3N-RP40-4HSP-ZNPP-P -f HP_OnlineJFS
HP_OnlineJFS feature is licensed

=
Could you provide the OnlineJFS file set details?old and current
Geoff Wild
Honored Contributor

For 11.11:

/sbin/fs/vxfs/vxenablef -e online

Rgds...Geoff

Proverbs 3:5,6 Trust in the Lord with all your heart and lean not on your own understanding; in all your ways acknowledge him, and he will make all your paths straight.