New Discussion юеВ

/etc/lvmtab file corrupted

SOLVED
Go to solution
Pradeep_3
Frequent Advisor

/etc/lvmtab file corrupted

Hello
I have V-Class server running HP-UX 11.11. We had few VGs on the system. I was trying to check vginfoemation giving
vgdisplay -v /dev/vgoracle
it gave me 'bad entry in lvmtab' file.
Upon checking /etc/lvmtab I found every thing was ok. I removed lvmtab and recreated using,
vgscan -a -v command.

But now my problem is in new lvmtab I could not see any enrty for vg00 and info about it. I tried going in lvm maintenance mode and tried vgscan from there also but it doesn't mount any root lv in lvm maintenance mode. I have exportted all volume groups except root VG but still it is not able to generate proper lvmtab file.

Can any one give any solution for this problem other than reinstalling HP-UX? I don't have ignite recovery tape also.

Thanking you in advance

Pareh Kalathia
12 REPLIES 12
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Re: /etc/lvmtab file corrupted

Post your lvmtab file.

Also please revert as what this server is running

Thanks
Ravi_8
Honored Contributor

Hi,

TG, Pareh says that he doesn't have anything in his lvmtab file even after vgscan.

i don't know whether he is doing vgscan as root or as a user.

top of it no ignite recivery tape. I doubt recovering this m/c
never give up
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor

Acutally I did want to know the situation like whether only the vg name is missing or even the disk in that vg which is listed in the lvmtab file is also missing.

I have come across some problems when the dev/slvmvg file existsi.e. when the system is running with Service Guard.

Can you also try doing a
#vgdisplay -v /dev/vg00

revert
Pradeep_3
Frequent Advisor

Dear TG/Ravi

At present this server is not running any major application and this is test server, but since it was some thing strenge I want to know the cause of it.

I am attaching the lvmtab file which is having some /dev/ instead of vg00 and the disk it shows is my boot disk only.

I am running vgscan through administrator login.

Thank you

Paresh
T G Manikandan
Honored Contributor
Solution

Yes!
This was what I was speaking about.

This is because of the /dev/slvmvg having the same minor number as the /dev/vg00.

check this doc from HP

vgscan will create /etc/lvmtab with /dev/ instead of /dev/vg00 DocId: KBRC00002565
Pradeep_3
Frequent Advisor

I tried running vgdisplay, gives following.

# vgdisplay -v /dev/vg00
vgdisplay: Volume group "/dev/vg00" does not exist in the "/etc/lvmtab" file.
vgdisplay: Cannot display volume group "/dev/vg00".
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hello !
After vgscan the boot information might be incorrect due to different order of disks in the new /etc/lvmtab file.Try lvlnboot -R to correct boot information.
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Sergejs Svitnevs
Honored Contributor

Ian Dennison_1
Honored Contributor

FYI,

I just did this 2 days ago with XP512 Disks on a Brocade SAN. An additional consideration is that 'vgscan' will put all alternative paths for the disks that it finds into the lvmtab. However, if you had not performed a 'vgextend' of these before, any 'vgdisplay' command will complain about the disks.

When you need to do this on a SAN-connected HP-UX Server, you will first need to 'hide' the disk paths that were not previously used in the VG. Once the 'vgscan' has been performed, you can 'un-hide' the alternate disks and add them in using 'vgextend'.

Share and Enjoy! Ian
Building a dumber user