New Discussion юеВ

extend /stand

SOLVED
Go to solution
Tuan Nguyen
Regular Advisor

extend /stand

Hi,

I need to upgrade my N4000 server from 11.0 to 11i. The upgrade manual says that I need to have at least 100MB /stand. Currently, my /stand has only 83MB
/dev/vg00/lvol1 83733 47086 28273 62% /stand

The PE use for /stand is from 0 to 20
My 4GB swap lvol2 has PE from 21 to 1044

I still have about 470 contiguous Free PE that I can used. The question is how am I going to do this in the least painful way.

Thank you very much for your help and guidance.

Tuan
14 REPLIES 14
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Re: extend /stand

Hi Tuan:

Make an Ignite recovery tape; boot from it; choose the advanced installation method; and resize your filesystems to better accomodate your needs. Simple and safe!

By the way, you would be better off cold-installing 11.11 than performing an upgrade. Cold-installs are cleaner and far less prone to problems encounted in upgrades.

Regards!

...JRF...
Sandy Chen
Honored Contributor

Hi,

My suggestion is to do cold install of 11i
It will make your life easier.

If you wanted to extend /stand, use ignite make_tape_recovery or make_net_recovery to take backup and then restore. Make sure you use the interactive mode, so that you can change the FS

Regards,
Sandy
I never think of the future. It comes soon enough.
yulianto piyut
Valued Contributor

just make recovery tape and re-install using recovery tape. choose "Advanced Installation" for disk and filesystem management.
MarkSyder
Honored Contributor

Just in case JRF and Sandy haven't got the message through, do a cold install.

Do not even contemplate using upgrade-ux if you value your sanity.

Mark Syder (like the drink but spelt different)
The triumph of evil requires only that good men do nothing
Laurent Menase
Honored Contributor

The problem you have is that /stand must be in contiguous PE,

So you can create a new lvol with the right attributes, backup /stand into the new lvol,
don't forget to change fstab,
then use lvlnboot to set the new boot lvol.

The side effect of this method are:
lvol1 will not be anymore your boot lvol, and this may be deceptive for a new admin.
a vgimport of that vg without the map will reorder the lvol, so if you need to restart the system in case of vg problems, you will have some fun.

So I would not advise that .

The other solution is to move the swap lvol temporarily, ( create a new one) lvlnboot to change it, reboot,
backup /stand in an other place,
lvremove the old swap, lvextend the lvol1
Here we have a critical section:
mkfs -F hfs /dev/vg00/lvol1
restore the backup of /stand
End of critical section.
The problem here is that swap is at the wrong place, so you can recreate it as lvol2 then re lvlnboot....

You see it is not that easy.
you can also mix the 2 solutions, to avoid the critical section, but there is a lot of places where any mistake will endup in reinstalling an ignite backup.

If you have the mirroring, and more than one disk, you can have a lot of fun too, moving all the lvols on the mirror disk, in the right order, lvlnboot as needed,
reduce the mirror from the first disk,.....

In any case if you don't have some good lvm skills and are not used to restart a breaked lvm config, forget it and use ignite

Tuan Nguyen
Regular Advisor

James, Sandy, Bantul, Mark, Laurent

I thank you for your responses. I really appreciate your help.

The message I get is to cold install. That is perfectly fine. However, I will have to reconfigure all services and applications including digging through my licenses, code words...

By the way, I know that once I perform a cold install, I will have to create other VG and restore the data. However, I do not want to spend too much time spinning tapes. So, I think I 'd like to use vgexport and vgimport to recover the data on the disks. For instant, I will need to use existing data on disks belong to vg01, vg02, vg03...
What are the steps to do that?

Thank you very much for your advise.

Tuan
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi (again) Tuan:

> By the way, I know that once I perform a cold install...I think I 'd like to use vgexport and vgimport to recover the data on the disks.

This is *exactly* what you should do for your non-vg00 volume groups.

Before you begin the installation, 'vgexport' your non-vg00 volume groups with the '-s','-m' and '-p' options. This creates mapfiles (for rebuilding your logical volume names) and adds the VGID for the volume group to each mapfile. The volume groups wil not be removed from your running system due to the use of the (p)review option, however. Copy these files to a tape. Following your cold-install, reload the mapfiles and 'vgimport' using them.

You may need to balance alternate links following the 'vgimport'. You can easily do this with 'vgreduce' and 'vgextend'.

Regards!

...JRF...
Tuan Nguyen
Regular Advisor

James,

Thank you very much for the direction. Your help is greatly appreciated.

Tuan
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

BTW,

the map files are only small text files, so you can also store them on any other system or your PC.

To be prepared for a fall-back, you may consider to remove one boot disk (if they are mirrored) prior to the cold install just to be very safe.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!