108809 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

extend / w/o OnlineJFS

SOLVED
Go to solution
Dennis Carrillo
Occasional Contributor

extend / w/o OnlineJFS

Is it possible to extend / with the OS Recovery CD. I can't find any other alternative to extending /, without having to use Ignite, or some other mechanism that would require me to break mirrors, etc...Single user mode isn't an option because you come up on /...I booted off the recovery CD, but couldn't find utilities to help me extend /, so thought maybe someone on the Forum might have an idea, or know of hidden commands to do this...

Thanks in advance...
7 REPLIES 7
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: extend / w/o OnlineJFS

No hidden commands/ways to do it.

1 Resinstall - ignite or cold new install
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

The problem is that /, /stand and swap need to be contiguous, so the only way you could even attempt this is by shrinking swap and giving the extra space to /.

The much easier way is to use Ignite to make a bootable backup of vg00. You can then boot off it and go through an "install" that reloads your existing vg00 while giving you the chance to re-size your logical volumes during the process.

http://www.docs.hp.com/en/IUX/

Pete

Pete
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Like others mentioned there is no other way other than to load the OS,make a make_recovery image and install from it wher you can make the necessary filesystem size modifications.

Rgds

HGN
Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor
Solution

There have many, many comments abount extending /. There is no need to extend it at all. The smallest workstation to the largest SuperDome need only a couple of hundred megs. / is a static directory and nothing is stored or installed there. Most likely, you have massive directoriews or files that were incorrectly sent to / and must be moved. There are really only 4 directories for /:

/sbin
/etc
/dev
/root

(note: /root is where you move root's home). You can analyze just the / volume with this command:

du -kx / | sort -rn | head -20
94288 /
48696 /sbin
41768 /etc
26680 /etc/vx
21656 /etc/vx/type
14992 /sbin/fs
10072 /etc/opt

The above is fairly typical (94 megs used, /sbin is the largest). If /dev is at the top, a root admin made a big spelling error since /dev is less than 100k. Find the goof with:

find /dev -type f -exec ll {} \;

There are NO ordinary files in /dev. Any other directory at the top of the list needs careful examination. A product install (ie, /sap or /informix or /oracle) is a big mistake and need to be moved to the correct directory, /opt.

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Dennis Carrillo
Occasional Contributor

I was trying to install the latest Quality Pack on an L2000 that was configured with a "/" of 150MB. I've cleaned up "/" as best I can and hopefully the amount of space I have freed up will be enough...I figure worse case will be to break the root mirror, create and alternate OS with larger lvols, then copy the contents of the current OS to the alternate.. I will then boot off the alternate OS and mirror the previous OS to the new OS...

Thanks for all the input. The replies confirmed my suspicions.
Sheriff Andy
Trusted Contributor

Dennis,

You might look in your /etc/lvmconf directory to see if there are any .conf files associated w/ old volume groups that no longer exist & you do not need.
Dennis Carrillo
Occasional Contributor

Thanks for all the responses..I have upgraded to the latest quality pack, and now have JDK1.5 installed...Basically what I did was bring down the server in Single User mode, increased all non-/ OS partitions, cleaned up "/", which was enough to proceed with the installs.

Thanks again!!!