New Discussion

how to enable VxVM on hp-ux 11iv3?

SOLVED
Go to solution
meekrob
Super Advisor

how to enable VxVM on hp-ux 11iv3?

Hi All,

im new to VxVM and im trying to test some commands in order to being more familiar.

In fact when trying to issue the "vxdisk" command on hp-ux 11iv3 in order to create a disk group, i m getting the message that the "vxdisk" command is not found.

Do i need to install VxVM as a bundle on the 11iv3 system?

Kindly advise

Thanks in advance

4 REPLIES 4
chris huys_4
Honored Contributor

Re: how to enable VxVM on hp-ux 11iv3?

Hi,

Beginning with HP-UX 11.31 , vxvm is indeed not anymore default installed when installing the OS.

# swlist|grep -i vxvm

If installed, the above command, should show a base-vxvm bundle. If no base-vxvm bundle shows up, no vxvm is installed.

If this is the case, just download a base-vxvm bundle from software.hp.com.

searchstring : base-vxvm

it should result currently in base vxvm versions 5.0/5.0.1 and 5.1SP1.

download the bundle that is required, install it. run vxinstall. and of you go.

(NOTE: if a base-vxfs version is allready installed, or install the same base-vxvm version as the installed base-vxfs version, or download a higher base-vxvm version, which should also include a "higher" base-vxfs version and which will upgrade the current base-vxfs version)

Best Regards,

Chris

meekrob
Super Advisor

Many Thanks for your help.

But just correct me if im wrong, i was reading about VxVM and specifically about the Vxinstall command that you mentioned lately. I read that in previous versions the step to issue 'vxinstall' was a requirement in order to initialize a root disk group even if it is not effectively used as root/boot disk (the system has an already installed LVM boot disk). Does this step to issue vxinstall still applies and is it a requirement before starting to initialize disk groups?

Regards

chris huys_4
Honored Contributor
Solution

Hi,

Yes, vxinstall is still required. Were before , euhm vxvm 3.5 on hp-ux 11.11 and vxvm 3.5 on hp-ux 11.23 vxvm still needed  a "rootdg" lun, to get vxvm (vxconfigd) going, from vxvm 4.1 on HP-UX 11.23 onwards, the rootdg lun requirement was removed, but you still need to run vxinstall, to "configure vxvm", i.e. startup vxconfigd, "the main vxvm daemon". (#vxdctl mode, will show enabled after vxinstall was run, instead of not-running, vxconfigd process will show up in the process list).

for vxinstall, just answer the default answers. Only when it asks for the default diskgroups, I mostly dont fill in a default diskgroup name, as you should get used to fill in the -g <dg> option with almost every vxvm command.

meekrob
Super Advisor

Many Thanks for the clarification.

Thread considered closed.