if it is possible retrieve data

Thanks
noble
2 REPLIES 2
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

Re: how to idetify disk failure belongs to which volume

Hi Noble,

How did you recongnise that disk is faulty ?
is ioscan -fnCdisk shows it as NO_HW?
If no there is possibilty that only LVM header got corrupted, as a result pvdisplay is not working...

To check the disk is part of which volume. execute "strings /etc/lvmtab" and then you can make out the disk device name falls under which VG.

If only headers are missing then I would suggest you to deactivate the vg and then restore the vg configuration..

vgchange -a n
vgcfgrestore < /dev/rdsk/cxtydz>

If you check the vgdisplay and lvdisplay output of the volumes to which this disk belongs and find any stale extents which means this disk has gone bad...
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

Re: how to idetify disk failure belongs to which volume

Well, I could not understand what you meant by 'disk array'. If this disk is in an array like EMC or XP1024, this is a whole different thing to figure out how to fix it. But if it is a disk in a locally connected disk array, like an SC10 or similar, and you are using your LUNS as whole disks and only that way (no LUNS spanning over multiple disks etc, otherwise you are in the EMC and alikes situation), then you run

ioscan -fnC disk | more

and hunt for the NO_HW device. Find where this device is located on your array. Swap it with a good, working disk.

assuming it is in vg01 volume group (if not change the vg01 below to the name of your volume group below)

vgcfgrestore -n vg01 /dev/rdsk/cXtXdX

where you will put the proper numbers where "X"s are, in the above command, referencing your broken disk. Then

vgchange -a y vg01

then if this volume was a mirror of another volume, remirror the stale volumes in vg01.

On the other hand, if you have something like an SC10 which uses bonded disk volumes to make larger virtual disks, you need to refer to the users' manual of the array, explaining how to fix it, as it may not be as trivial as what I explained above.

Hope this helps