108799 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: how to move whole volume group from server A to server B

SOLVED
Go to solution
Mourad_SAN

Hi Matti,

I know this is a long shot and hope you're still around .

I am trying to do a SAN migration to a few HP-UX 11.11 boxes , I want  to export / Import the VG whitin the same server ( the SAN array is the only thing changing ), do I need the -p when running the export command the first time or not?

Matti_Kurkela
Honored Contributor

Strictly speaking, you don't need the -p option, but you may want it anyway.

The -p option will preview the export, so it does not do anything to the actual VG configuration, but it will create the map file just like a real export would. It is a way to check in advance that the VG is in a good state for exporting. If the preview-export gives you an error message, nothing has actually changed, but you will now know that there is something you should fix before running the export for real. In production systems, the amount of downtime allowed may be limited, so it's best to check as much as possible in advance of the actual operation.

But if you already know for sure that the VG is in a good state, for example because you have very recently done some other operations to it successfully, and nobody else has changed it afterwards, then you may choose to skip the preview step. The actual export will produce the map file, just the same as the preview-export.

(I was pretty much completely away for two years, but now it looks like I might again have some time for the forums.)

MK