Operating System - HP-UX
1747980 Members
4763 Online
108756 Solutions
New Discussion

Re: HP-UX file system size limit when rcping from older system?

p7
Frequent Advisor

hpux file system size limit when rcping from older system?

hi all

we recently migrated from a vclass running hpux 11.00) to a superdome 2 running 11.31.

on migration day, the oracle dbas rcped all the dbfs from the old to new system and brought up databases.

everythings been fine since.

today, the oracle dba needed to extend a temp dbf but couldnt. he had to create a new one. (i recall on the old

vclass there was a 2gb file limit, but no such limit on the dome).  he further noticed that if he creates new files

on the dome he can make them much bigger than 2gb, but the ones he rcped over will not budge.

so, the question is, do files remember? does this make sense?

thx in advance

3 REPLIES 3
Dennis Handly
Acclaimed Contributor

>do files remember?

Largefiles is a property of the filesystem.  It is also a property of a 32 bit application and how it was built.

I would assume Oracle wouldn't have the latter problem.

p7
Frequent Advisor

yes thats why im a little baffled. its an acucobol app that was running for yrs on the vclass, i recall the dba always had an issue extending files over 2gb there because of 11.00. but on the dome, i wasnt expecting such.

pooderbill
Valued Contributor

As Dennis mentioned, the 2GB limit is the filesystem's property. If the filesystem was created on the 11.31 system, it will not allow files larger than 2GB *unless* the filesystem was created with the largefiles option. Although today it makes no sense, the default is still no-largefiles. Run fsadm on each of the mountpoints and correct the ones that are not set for largefiles. The 2GB limit is quite archaic for today's data. Note that largefiles have been available since version 10.20, so the Vclass 11.00 limit was never a filesystem feature. However, applications must be largefiles aware which may have been the case for the 11.00 environment.