Operating System - HP-UX
1748140 Members
3767 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: io_redirect_dsf on replaced boot disk mirror fails with "not the same as class name"

Andrew Gray (SPARQ)
Occasional Collector

io_redirect_dsf on replaced boot disk mirror fails with "not the same as class name"

I'm replacing a mirrored boot disk on itanium HP-UX 11.31.  I followed the procedure outlined in documentation but haven't gotten very far.  These are the details and steps so far:

failed disk: /dev/disk/disk81 path 64000/0xfa00/0x8e lun 0/1/1/0.0x1.0x0 - shows as NO_HW in ioscan

1. pvchange -a N /dev/disk/disk81_p2 # disable access to failed disk

2. physically swap failed disk with new disk

3. scsimgr replace_wwid -D /dev/rdisk/disk81 # this works, outputs message saying it sucessfully validated binding of LUN paths with new LUN.

4. ioscan -m lun # shows that new device file created is /dev/disk/disk31 path 64000/0xfa00/0x29 lun 0/1/1/0.0x1.0x0

5. idisk -wf /tmp/idf /def/rdisk/disk31# recreated the partitions

6. insf -e -H 64000/0xfa00/0x29

7. io_redirect_dsf -d /dev/disk/disk81 -n /dev/disk/disk31

And this is where I got stuck.  io_redirect_dsf is giving this error message:

Class name:95 of /dev/disk/disk81 is not the same as class name:51 of /dev/disk/disk31

I can't find any information on that error message and I don't know what I've done wrong or what to do to fix it. 

I don't know if it's related, but "vgcfgbackup vg00" is also giving errors:

# vgcfgbackup vg00
vgcfgbackup: /etc/lvmtab is out of date with the running kernel:
Kernel indicates 3 disks for "/dev/vg00"; /etc/lvmtab has 2 disks.
Cannot proceed with backup.

I don't know what the third disk is, lvmtab and vgdisplay show only /dev/disk/disk81 and /dev/disk/disk5 which is correct.

My next steps were going to be:

7. io_redirect_dsf -d /dev/disk/disk81 -n /dev/disk/disk31 # stuck here....
8. ioscan -m lun /dev/disk/disk81
9. mkboot -e -l /dev/rdisk/disk81
10. efi_cp тАУd /dev/rdisk/dev/disk/disk81 /tmp/auto /efi/hpux/auto # file has "boot vmunix" in it.
11. vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vg00 /dev/rdusk/disk81_p2
12. pvchange -a y /dev/disk/disk81_p2
13. lvlnboot -R
14. vgsync vg00

So can anyone see what I've done wrong, or what the error message is?  Alternatively, should I just split the mirror on vg00 completely, and then manually recreate from scratch using lvm commands?

Help appreciated Thanks

- Andrew

3 REPLIES 3
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: io_redirect_dsf on replaced boot disk mirror fails with "not the same as class name"

Something went wrong I guess.

In step 3 the "dsf" is missing:

3. scsimgr replace_wwid -D /dev/rdisk/disk81 dsf

Step 5 looks wrong:

5. idisk -wf /tmp/idf /def/rdisk/disk31

Just a typo here?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
Andrew Gray (SPARQ)
Occasional Collector

Hi,  The documentation doesn't include "dsf" at the end of the scsimgr command, so I didn't use it (see HP document "when good disks go bad").  

And the other thing you mentioned was indeed a typo.  

Anyway, strangely enough, I asked a colleague about this problem later in the day, they re-ran the io_redirect_dsf command to see the error message and lo and behold the **bleep** thing worked for them first go.  Why did it fail for me for  at least an hour after I first ran it several times?  It's a mystery.

Anyway, so now the DSF's are renamed correctly, but now I've got other issues with LVM:

Kernel thinks there are 3 disks in vg00, lvmtab thinks only 2.  Tried removing lvmtab and running vgscan, but vgscan fails to include vg00 in the newly created lvmtab, so I have to put the old one back.  I noticed that in /etc/lvmconf/vg00.conf it lists two drives in there, but one of them is incorrect.  I can't do a vgcfgbackup or restore as a result and vgscan failes to find vg00.  So it's quite strange.  Not sure how to proceed.  Probably I'll just break the vg00 mirrors and recreate mirrors from scratch, which is a bit painful but should work.  Still not sure what to do with the weird disks in lvmconf though.  Ideas?

Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

It would be helpful to know what system you have - a SAS disk connected to a smart array in HBA mode?

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!