Operating System - HP-UX
1752593 Members
3055 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion

lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available. PVG-Strict or Distributed allocation policies.

SOLVED
Go to solution
Gustavo Venturini deLim
Occasional Advisor

lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available. PVG-Strict or Distributed allocation policies.

Hello Everyone.
I'm using a HP-UX 11.00 and a VA7100.
Need to extend and lvol and the lvextend comes back and tells me:

§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§
lvextend -L 302976 /dev/vg16/lvvg16
lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available.
Logical volume "/dev/vg16/lvvg16" could not be extended.
Failure possibly caused by PVG-Strict or Distributed allocation policies.
§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§§

I've add 2 disks devices (/dev/dsk/c30t1d0 and /dev/dsk/c40t0d7), both whit 8Gb and now I want to use this free space.

I'm in doubt about the "Alternate Link" showed on the vgdisplay... Don't know if maybe that's the problem...
8 REPLIES 8
Gustavo Venturini deLim
Occasional Advisor

Re: lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available. PVG-Strict or Distributed allocation policies.

Just warning that the thread have a attachment with the outputs...
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Re: lvextend: Not enough free physical extents available. PVG-Strict or Distributed allocation policies.

lvdisplay /dev/vg16/lvvg16

Does it say strict under policy?/ If yes, you will have to change it and then proceed. Also is enough fee extends available?? vgdisplay /dev/vgxx
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Gustavo Venturini deLim
Occasional Advisor

RAC, the outputs are in the previous message.
HGN
Honored Contributor

Hi

Just want to make sure the 2 disks where added to the same vg and also

vgdisplay -v /dev/vg16 to see if you have enough free PE.

Rgds

HGN
RAC_1
Honored Contributor

Your answer lies in your lvdisplay output. Your policy is PVG-strict/distributed.

You need to add same no. of disks as they are in that PVG group.
There is no substitute to HARDWORK
Thomas Kaufhold
Occasional Advisor
Solution

Hello,

Im not sure, but if you use policy pvg-strict you should add the new volumes to a (new) pvg. Because of policy distributed i suggest a second pvg.
Try
vgextend -g pvg16-2 /dev/vg16 /dev/dsk/c30t1d0 /dev/dsk/c40t0d7
or edit /etc/lvmpvg.
Then use
lvextend -L 302976 /dev/vg16/lvvg16 pvg16-2

Alternative Link means both of your disk controllers (c30, c40) see the same (physical) disk(s).
You should probably do
vgextend /dev/vg16 /dev/dsk/c40t1d0 /dev/dsk/c30t0d7
too.

Best regards,
Thomas
Gustavo Venturini deLim
Occasional Advisor

Thank's Thomas!
It's works!
Gustavo Venturini deLim
Occasional Advisor

Thank you all for the help!