Operating System - HP-UX
1754014 Members
5133 Online
108811 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lvextend error when trying to mirror boot disk...

Bryan D. Quinn
Respected Contributor

Re: lvextend error when trying to mirror boot disk...

Ok, here is an update.

I chose option 1 and booted off of the alternate. The boot was successful. The only problem is that the first extent on the alternate (which I booted off of) is still showing stale. Therefore, I get an error message everytime I try to reduce the mirror off of the primary boot disk. The error says that it can not reduce the mirror because the remaining disk has a stale extent. So, now I am stumped as what to do next.

Should I just throw in the towel and Ignite or is there some way to break that mirror. I read somewhere about the lvunstale tool used by HP engineers. Has anyone used this tool? If so, would it help in this situation?

Thanks,
-Bryan
Siju Vadakkan
Trusted Contributor

check for bad blocks on both the disks...

echo 2400?20X | adb

IT_2007
Honored Contributor

Do you have stale extent in lvol1. Can you post first 30 lines of lvdisplay -v /dev/vg00/lvol1 ??

It seems your 1st logical extent on primary disk is bad. You can do this way to fix it.

1. Boot off with alt disk.
2. Split all logical volumes ( don't use lvreduce)
3. Boot of again using alt boot disk and check for any stale extents on lvol1. If you don't see any, then replace your bad primary disk.
4. restore logical volumes on to new disk.
Arunkumar.B
Trusted Contributor

Hi Bryan,

The same scenario i faced issue with my superdome.

Stale shown in the secondry.Primary shows good but the problem was the primary disk.After replacing the primary disk things went fine.

My suggestion,

Remove the Primary Disk & boot using the Alternate disk.If it booted properly.Try to reduce using lvreduce using pvkey.
lvreduce -m 0 -A n -k /dev/vg00/lvol1 1
It should work.Otherwise there is one more tool i got from HP-Australia call lvunstale which will make ur stale showing in the Alternate as current.For that u have to boot the machine in maintanence mode using Alternate disk.

1)vgexport /dev/vg00
2)vgimport -v /dev/vg00 /dev/dsk/cxtydz(Alternae disk)
3)Run the lvunstale script for the particular lvol which will turn your Stale to current. Then Normal Procedure.

Finally Nothing Helps Restore thru Ignite.

Cheers
Arunkumar.B
Necessity breaks iron