Operating System - HP-UX
1752590 Members
2853 Online
108788 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

lvremove no such device or address

Jerry Virden

lvremove no such device or address

Been checking the forums and looking for a way to do this without rebooting.
I moved 3 volume groups from an EMC DMX to a NetApp. LV's are the same name but I named the VG's differently. I didn't think to remove the VG's/LV's/PV's before disconnecting the DMX and now I have these VG's/LV's/PV's hanging out there and I can't get rid of them.
When trying to remove the LV I get no such device or address. If trying to remove the VG I can't because there are still LV's in it. I can't deactivate the VG with error Device busy.
Since the disks no longer exist, nor do the LV's or VG's can I just delete the files or rmsf?
9 REPLIES 9
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

Re: lvremove no such device or address

Have you tried vgexporting?

Pete

Pete
Jerry Virden

Yes. When I execute vgexport it tells me the volume group is still active. If I try deactivating it gives me Device busy.
singh sanjeev
Trusted Contributor

Try deactivating the VG with quorum option.

Vgchange -a n -q
Sanjeev Singh
Deeos
Regular Advisor

Hi,

unmount all mount points associated with those VGs and than try vgexport command!
Deepak
Deeos
Regular Advisor

use
vgchange -a e Vgname
Deepak
Basheer_2
Trusted Contributor

If it is saying BUSY. then those are mounted and used by some other processess/users.

use fuser command to find who is using that LV

fuser -u mounted-file-sys-for-that-lv
stephen peng
Valued Contributor

try vgscan to rebuilt /etc/lvmtab, man vgscan.
Jerry Virden

vgchanges just tell me the device is busy. There are no processes in use so that is not the issue. I think the vg doesn't know what I did with the disks so just thinks they are busy.
I have two servers with this condition. It looks like the only thing I can do is reboot. I rebooted one of the servers the other day into lvm mode and was able to vgexport. When it booted, everything was cleaned up.
Jerry Virden

It looks like I have to reboot into lvm mode; vgexport and boot up.
On another server where the LUNS have not been destroyed yet and I can't get downtime, I'm going to reconnect to the DMX through one card set up the lvm info again and manually remove lv's, vg's and disks.