108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

maxvg > 256 ?

SOLVED
Go to solution
RolandH
Honored Contributor

Re: maxvg > 256 ?

I think the first attachment is corupted!!!
Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

How about looking at it a little differently. Do you ABSOLUTELY HAVE to have all of those as separate VGs? Can you combine some of the VGs so that you have fewer VGs with more LVs in each VG? Each LUN on the array does not have to be it's own VG. When you create LVs you can specify the c?t?d? device that it is created on so you could still have 1 LV per LUN if that is your requirement.

By the way, the reason for the limit is in the minor number of each VGs group file. The 0x??0000 number. The ?? is a unique hexadecimal number assigned to each VG. The max for a 2 digit hex number is FF, which to us humans is 255. So you have a range of 00-FF, or 0-255 for a total of 256 possible VGs
Cheryl Griffin
Honored Contributor

Currently 256 is the limit but there is an SR for to have the limit increased, SR #8606128492. I would suggest contacting your local HP Response Center and ask that they raise the priority on this SR. Customer feedback is always taken into consideration when prioritizing SR's/ER's.
"Downtime is a Crime."
Lai Nee Shyang_1
Frequent Advisor

Hi Roland,

Thanks. That's great idea abt moving to VNM. I need to check out with the HP folks abt the migration and license $$. I'm only worried whether the CA and BC copy can be move to VNM without moving the production copy. Let me check with them.

Hi Patrick Wallek,

Sad to say, my V2500 hosts 3 copies of LUNs, CA, BC and another QA. All to be expanded to 136 VG (each 108.5 GB). I can change the QA VG sizing, but i can't change the CA and BC VG sizing without changing the master copy, which is my Production copy. And I believe to change it means 3-4 days of down time (current production is 8.4Tb). For that, my bosses may hang me. Beside Roland's suggestion of moving to VNM, the next option is to move the BC copy out and shrink the number of VG on QA. But I have physical constrains as I need to find servers and services from HP to move the BC copy out of the v2500.

Cherly,
Thanks! I didn't know there is such a request going on, I'll check with my HP folks here. But I only worried it may be tie in to some addressing space in HP-UX and it may not be easy to change, or they can only release this change in next ver of HP-UX.

To all u guys, thanks again.

Lai
If it doesn't work, We'll make it work. If it works, We'll make it work better.
RolandH
Honored Contributor

Hi Lai,

I'll keep my fingers crossed.
Give us feedback, if you find a solution.

Roland
Sometimes you lose and sometimes the others win
Steven_155

I know it's been addressed, but can you change the maxvgs using command lines instead of editing the system file?

I tried the following:

kmtune -l -q maxvgs
kmtune -s maxvgs=25
kmtune -d

The -u flag won't work since it cannot be dynamically changed.

I figured there must way to do it this way.
Steven_155

Oh, try this!

# kmtune -l -q maxvgs
# kmtune -s maxvgs=25
# kmtune -d
# mk_kernel -o /stand/vmunix
# sync
# reboot
# kmtune -l -q maxvgs