New Discussion юеВ

mounted filesystem

SOLVED
Go to solution
lawrenzo_1
Super Advisor

mounted filesystem

Situation:

I have a filesyetm /appl/ with several sub directories. I have created a filesystem /appl/patrol, when I mount /appl/patrol and cd into it I can no longer see the sub directories below /appl/patrol all I see is lost+found.

where am I going wrong?

cheers
hello
4 REPLIES 4
Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: mounted filesystem

Hi there,

when you create a new filesystem /appl/patrol, this /appl/patrol will be a fresh filesystem (nothing inside).

But on /appl, there still several sub directories.

This situation is a normal situation, unless there's a sub directory /appl/patrol under /appl before you create a file system called /appl/patrol. On this situation, all contain of /appl/patrol on previous file system will be hide-out since the new file system with the same name on it.

If this happened on your system, and you still want to have /appl/patrol as your new file system mount directory. You need to backup the contain of /appl/patrol (on previous file system), empty it, mount the new file system and restore back.

Hope this information can help you.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Rajeev  Shukla
Honored Contributor

You are getting confused with a filesystem and directory. Both are different and remember when a filesystem is mounted over a directory, you wont see anything under that directory which existed before the mount. But it is not gone, if you unmount the filesystem you can still see your directory content. So to move everything, temporarly move your directory to something else and and mount the new filesystem and move stuff back to this filesystem.

Cheers
Rajeev
Mel Burslan
Honored Contributor

so if I understand your dilemma correctly, prior to creating this filesystem and mounting it on /appl/patrol, you have had directories under this mount point, i.e., /appl/patrol. And after you mount this filesystem over this mount point you expect to still see these directories. If this is your question, answer is, no it is not going to happen. Once you mount a filesystem on a directory, using it as a mount point, you lose access to the contents of the directory until you unmount it. If you want the old content to show up on your new filesystem, you first need to move it to some other place and then do your mount and move them back into the filesystem.

Hope this helps

great - I have created many filesystems from new but not for a directory that already exsists. I will remember this next time

thanks
hello