108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: naming logical volumes

SOLVED
Go to solution
chmc
Advisor

naming logical volumes

I am setting up a new server (1st time) and need to create the logical volumes. I understand it does not technically matter if I name them an actual name (like one that refers to the content) or if I name them lvol1 lvol2 etc...

The advantage to the name seems that I would quicky know what is what.
But I am not sure if there is a reason I do not know of that one would be better than the other.
Please let me know what you think.

Thanks-
5 REPLIES 5
A. Clay Stephenson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

I actually prefer the default lvol1, lvol2, ... convention because then I know that the LVOL name means nothing. Now consider the case of lvoradata1, lvoradata2, ... . You THINK you know what that means but do you really know? In short, my approach is to NEVER trust the LVOL names to mean anything and then I never make stupid assumptions.

In any case there is really no right or wrong approach and the ONLY way to know if an LVOL is truly unused is to document, document, document --- and force your fellow admins to do the same.
If it ain't broke, I can fix that.
Christian Tremblay
Trusted Contributor

It's always better to have meaningful names like lvora or lvdata, but make sure you always start with "lv"; It makes it easier to run commands on all of them at once by using lv*
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

LVOLS are counted like lvol1, lvol2 and so on internally, why not give names like that. This makes a lot of things easier ...
Just document your whole config - it is worth to do this!

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor

Hi:

I use the default names -- 'lvol1', 'lvol2', etc. Documentation and the mapping provided by 'etc/fstab' provide the contextual knowledge necessary.

One advantage to doing this is if you ever forget to create a mapfile during a 'vgexport' or have lost one prior to a 'vgimport' the default names are used during the import phase. See the manpages for 'vgimport' and 'vgexport'.

Regards!

...JRF...
chmc
Advisor

Thank you for your thoughts around this. I realize there is no absolute right/wrong answer but I appreciate others experiences.