Operating System - HP-UX
1748074 Members
5276 Online
108758 Solutions
New Discussion

newbie trying to moving directories to from internal disks to VA…

SOLVED
Go to solution
Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

newbie trying to moving directories to from internal disks to VA…

I need to move a couple directories (/opt/tomcat and /opt/java1.4) from the internal disks to our VA. (We are having performance issues with a web app and a consultant made this recommendation.) I’m thinking I can just create these as new mount points then restore the data but I am VERY new and want to make sure this is the correct way to do this. I am also wondering what I need to do to “switch over” from these being under the /opt mount point on the internal disks. Will the system just automatically start pointing to the VA as soon as I mount the new file system? Do I need to umount /opt first? Will the existing data remain on the internal disks so that if they decide to back out I can just umount the new mount point to go back to our original configuration? Thanks in advance for any help!!

Jenni
3 REPLIES 3
Luk Vandenbussche
Honored Contributor
Solution

Re: newbie trying to moving directories to from internal disks to VA…

1) Create a new logical volume on /opt/tomcat1

2) Stop your tomcat application

3) cd /opt/tomcat
4) find . -depth -print | cpio -pvdulm /opt/tomcat1
5) mv /opt/tomcat /opt/tomcat2
6) mkdir /opt/tomcat
7) modify /etc/fstab to that the mountpoint of the new lv is /opt/tomcat instead of /opt/tomcat1
8) Restart tomcat
9) If everything is working fine you can remover /opt/tomcat2

Do the same procedure for /opt/java1.4
Tim Nelson
Honored Contributor

I would be interested to see some evidence to back up the performance issue.

Relocating the java binaries to some different disk probably will not help the issue.

Any sar data to support the potential disk issue or will this hoop jump just waste time and effort ?

Jenni Wolgast
Regular Advisor

Luk,
Thanks for the step-by-step instructions! If they decide they want to back this change out for some reason would I just need to:

- stop tomcat
- umount /opt/tomcat
- mv /opt/tomcat2 /opt/tomcat
- restart tomcat

then I'd be back where I started?

Tim,
Yep, I think this is just a blind recommendation but jumping can be good exercise :)