108789 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: not enough free physical extends

SOLVED
Go to solution
Michel_16
Occasional Contributor

not enough free physical extends

When I extend the lvol* on vg00 I get a error message not enough free physical extends
Is there a way to extend the vg01 on the same disk?

Hpux 11 with online jfs.

Thanks

Have FUN
10 REPLIES 10
Daxa Patel
Occasional Advisor

Hi,

Do you have any free physical extents in vg00 ?
Check
#vgdisplay -v vg00
Which lvol are you trying to extend and is it mirrored , is it striped ... ?
Whats the output of :
#lvdisplay /dev/vg00/lvol?

In order to extend an lvol you need to satisfy the "Allocation" policy as well as have free extents in the VG .
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

"Is there a way to extend the vg01 on the same disk?"

No. A physical disk can only belong to one VG. If this disk is already used for vg00, you can't use it for vg01, too.

Pete

Pete
Artyom Voronchihin
Respected Contributor

Hello !
You can't extend VG on the same disk (PV), because it's impossible to include a part of disk (PV) to VG. Only entire disk can be included in a VG. So you need to add another disk and extend VG to it using vgextend(1m).
"Intel inside" is not a label, it's a warning.
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

Unfortunately Michael, the answer to your question is no. A physical volume can only be part of one Volume Group at a time. Moreover, you cannot extend a Logical over two different Volume Group, cause just like Physical Volumes, Logical Volumes can only be part of one Volume Group at a time. Therefore, unless you add a completely brand new disk on VG00, or you find a way to get some free extents in VG00, I'm afraid you can;t extend it that easily.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Michael Steele_2
Honored Contributor

Although you can't extend a logicl volume between vgs you can extend it onto another disk. This is one of the major strengths of LVM. Do you have an extra disk to add in?

pvcreate -f /dev/rdsk/c...
vgextend /dev/vg## /dev/dsk/...

At this point your lvextend command will work.
Support Fatherhood - Stop Family Law
Michel_16
Occasional Contributor

Sorry I have made a mistake in the discription.

the disk size is 9Gb and the size of vg00 is 4Gb.

Is there a way to increase the VG00 on the SAME 9GB disk?

Thanks
Have FUN
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor
Solution

You need to post the output of vgdisplay -v vg00 so we have enough info to try to help.

Pete

Pete
Marco Santerre
Honored Contributor

Michael,

as Pete said it would be a good thing to have a vgdisplay -v vg00, but I get this feeling from what you are saying that vg00 was probably first created with a 4Gb disk and that a 9Gb was later added, or something like that. Unfortunately if such is the case, your VG00 has been defined with only a certain number of extents on the disk, so even if you add a bigger disk, it won't see it completely unless you recreate VG00 and tell it that the MAX PE per PV is bigger.
Cooperation is doing with a smile what you have to do anyhow.
Pete Randall
Outstanding Contributor

When you do a vgcreate, you assign a disk(s) to your vg, not parts of disks. If, as Marco suggested, a 9GB disk was introduced in place of a 4GB disk (though I'm not sure quite how that was accomplished), then your only recourse is to do an Ignite make_tape_recovery backup of your vg00 and use that to restore it onto this 9GB disk, reallocating the volume group and it's logical volumes in the process.

Pete

Pete