Operating System - HP-UX
1753781 Members
7452 Online
108799 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

pvcreate: The pshysical volume "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0" is already recorded in the "/etc/lvmtab" file

aline oliveira
Occasional Contributor

pvcreate: The pshysical volume "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0" is already recorded in the "/etc/lvmtab" file

Gentlemen,

I'm trying to create a WP / LV / FS, when the disc and add orders create the following message appears:

How can I do to make that device the lvmtab since he is not being used and I want to create a new VG using that drive.
6 REPLIES 6
Torsten.
Acclaimed Contributor

Re: pvcreate: The pshysical volume "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0" is already recorded in the "/etc/lvmtab" file

What is "WP"?

You normally need to vgreduce or vgremove first - vgexport is also possible.

Hope this helps!
Regards
Torsten.

If you feel this was helpful please click the KUDOS! thumb below!   
aline oliveira
Occasional Contributor

Re: pvcreate: The pshysical volume "/dev/dsk/c1t0d0" is already recorded in the "/etc/lvmtab" file

Sorry, don't is WP / LV / FS , is VG/LV/FS
SKR_1
Trusted Contributor

1. pvdisplay -v /dev/dsk/c1t0d0 ( First Assure disk is not assigned to any Volume group)

2. Then you can do vgreduce VG name disk ( if disk is already present in some VG)

3. pvremove /dev/dsk/c1t0d0

4. pvcreate -f /dev/dsk/c1t0d0

5. Add to the VG you want

vgextend vg name disk

Thanks

SKR
Sharma Sanjeev
Respected Contributor

Hi

1. Do pvdisplay /dev/dsk/c1t0d0 and see disk is in which VG

2. Reduce Disk from VG using vgreduce vgname diskname

3. pvcreate /dev/rdsk/c1t0d0
than create or extend vg

Hi SRK

pvcreate -f /dev/dsk/c1t0d0 in dsk it should be rdsk ( may be typo )

Regards
Sanjeev

Everything is Possible as " IMPOSSIBLE" word itself says I M POSSIBLE
Trevor Roddam_1
Valued Contributor

Hello.

For you to have the PV in the lvmtab file, it would have had to be installed and configured, then physically removed without being removed from LVM.

This can happen when replacing failed disks and not restoring the LVM information but just installing on the replacement. If you are replacing a disk, look at vgcfgrestore.

If this isn't the case please be VERY, VERY careful and look at vgscan.

http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90681/B2355-90681.pdf
http://docs.hp.com/en/B2355-90681/vgscan.1M.html

This sans all HDDs and replaces the lvmtab with correct information. Please be very careful. And do not reboot until you are certain that the file is fixed and working. Once the disk is removed from the lvmtab you will be able to add it. It should not be possible to add it until the lvmtab is repaired.

Trevor.
Baldric, I have a plan so cunning you could pin a tail on it and call it a weasle.
skt_skt
Honored Contributor

"How can I do to make that device the lvmtab since he is not being used and I want to create a new VG using that drive."

i assume you have masde sure that disk in use. Then keep a bakcup of /etc/lvmatab (renamed lvmtab to lvtab.bak) and run vgscan which will recreate the lvmtab. vgscan do not overwrite existing lvmtab if present.

Once lvmtab is updated u wll be able to do pvcreate