New Discussion юеВ

Re: pvmove questions and scenario

SOLVED
Go to solution
KPS
Super Advisor

pvmove questions and scenario

Hi we're running 11.23 on an rx8640 and we have some questions about pvmove:

Situation: I have 1 of 88 luns in a VG that I'm now finding out was created wrong with the undesired configuration. The problem I have now is that it's now part of a VG and a dedicated lvol and I need to move off this undesired lun to a newly presented lun that will be made up of the desired config.

Questions:

1. Can I use pvmove to move the physical extents off of this currently undesired lun to a new lun without any interruption of service other than some increased i/o while pvmove is doing it's thing? (This is a MC Production System)

2. If the answer to moving the extents using pvmove is "yes", what state will it leave the undesired lun once it's done moving the extents to the newly presented lun, (eg: will it leave the lun in the lvol or VG???)

I ultimately want to reduce this unwanted lun out of the lvol and VG when it's possible and everything is moved off of it in an online fashion if possible.

Any help with the above would greatly appreciated!

Regards,
/KPS
2 REPLIES 2
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi:

'pvmove' acts (and is) a poor-man's MirrorDisk/Ux.

> 1. Can I use pvmove to move the physical extents off of this currently undesired lun to a new lun without any interruption of service other than some increased i/o while pvmove is doing it's thing? (This is a MC Production System)

Yes, just don't interrupt the 'pvmove'. If you (or some event does) you will likely find yourself with stale logical extents.

> 2. If the answer to moving the extents using pvmove is "yes", what state will it leave the undesired lun once it's done moving the extents to the newly presented lun, (eg: will it leave the lun in the lvol or VG???)

The source disk will look as if there were never any logical extents allocated to the logical volume thus moved.

Regards!

...JRF...
KPS
Super Advisor

Thanks James, the second question was exactly the answer I was after.. Points assigned.

I think I'm all set; thanks!

/KPS