1753902 Members
9736 Online
108810 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

"Exec failed: Cannot find /stand/vmunix or /vmunix"

John Kelly_3
Regular Advisor

"Exec failed: Cannot find /stand/vmunix or /vmunix"

On an HP rp8400 we had a disk failure and since one file system was mistakenly not mirrored (an application one) I had to reboot to clear hung processes. This went fine. I recreated the file-system on the remaining disk and restored the files and then did another reboot to clear a hung autofs process (due to the mount point being missing on the previous boot)
Then it failed to come back up saying 'Exec failed: Cannot find /stand/vmunix or /vmunix'
hpux ls -l / said something like 'can't open directory.'
However when I eventually tried a 'hpux -lm' this worked and I activated vg00 and could mount /stand etc. I ran init 3 and had a running system again, albeit with one disk failed.

However I don't understand what can have happened to prevent the second boot. The lvlnboot settings on the second disk must have been correct to have booted the previous time. Any suggestions?

Update: Once I had cleaned out the failed disk, I ran lvlnboot -v and it *had* lost the boot setting although root and swap were fine. How could this have happened?
2 REPLIES 2
Prashanth.D.S
Honored Contributor

Re: "Exec failed: Cannot find /stand/vmunix or /vmunix"

Hi John,

Can u pls let me know the restoration process followed?

Issue might have occured due to corruption of BDRA & can be confirmed only on your reply.

Best Regards,
Prashanth

John Kelly_3
Regular Advisor

Re: "Exec failed: Cannot find /stand/vmunix or /vmunix"

Hi, the restoration process followed was just to re-create the failed filesystem...

lvremove /dev/vg00/lvol12
lvcreate -n lvol12 -L 4500 /dev/vg00
newfs -F vxfs -b 8192 -o largefiles /dev/vg00/rlvol12
mount /usr/sap

Then we did a netbackup restore of the data.

Then I rebooted again (shutdown -r now) and it had lost the boot info.

Thanks for your reply.