restore removed lvol

Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

restore removed lvol

Man, it has been awhile and I feel like a fish out of water. I was recently asked to remove an lvol, so i did it. Now it needs to be restored. I know I could recreate the lvol and restore, but i thought there was another way to do it. I recreated the character and block special files for the lvol, but I know there is a little more to it. Anyone have any good ideas?
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
4 REPLIES 4
Patrick Wallek
Honored Contributor

Re: restore removed lvol

What does 'lvdisplay' now show for that LV?
Vivek Bhatia
Trusted Contributor

Hi Court,

Please follow the steps.

1. Remove the character and block device files you have created.

2. Lvcreate -L lv_size_MB VG_NAME
3. mkdir DiR_OLD (Create the directory )
4. newfs -F vxfs /dev/VG_NAME/rLVOL_NAME
5. mount /dev/VG_NAME/LVOL_NAME DIR_OLD
6. Now restore all the files in DIR_OLD.

Thanks
Vivek Bhatia
Court Campbell
Honored Contributor

Pat - The lvol is gone, there is no info for lvdisplay to show.

Vivek - Thanks for the info, but that is a creation of a new lvol and a new file system. Not what I am asking for.

Anyway, a former co-worker was able to help out. I was lucky that all the lvols on the disk were contiguous. I was able to use the bdf output to get the number of PE's used for the lvol. I then did an lvcreate using the pe size and mounted it. I just barely dodged that bullet.
"The difference between me and you? I will read the man page." and "Respect the hat." and "You could just do a search on ITRC, you don't need to start a thread on a topic that's been answered 100 times already." Oh, and "What. no points???"
Viktor Balogh
Honored Contributor

Hi Court,

Does it mean that you found the data untouched on the newly created LV? With a filesystem on it? What a luck... :)
Unix operates with beer.