New Discussion юеВ

Re: root file system resizing

SOLVED
Go to solution
mohan singh
Frequent Advisor

root file system resizing

Hi ,
I have just installed Enterprise hp-ux 11i o/s OE 64bit in N class server. I followed Guided installation , I can only be able to sized the swap file system during the installation. There are few file system like /usr , /opt , /var file system were auto sized. Now I want to resize root (/) and /stand . Since Enterprise version has got online jfs , I tried to extend /stand and root(/) but I am getting error "lvextend not enough free physical extend available"
even though /usr /opt and /var file system were resized automaticaly , I can again resized them online.
I know there are enough guru who have remedy . Is it possible to do sizing for o/s file system during installation (Enterprise OE 11i)? if not then what is the best way to resized o/s file system.

regards
Mohan
6 REPLIES 6
James R. Ferguson
Acclaimed Contributor
Solution

Hi Mohan:

If you choose an advanced installation mode and toggle the "filesystems" tab you can select and size all of the vg00 filesystems during cold-installation.

You are NOT going to be able to (easily) extend root (/) or /stand regardless of having Online JFS. The underlying issue is that you need contiguous physical extents on the physical volume on which they reside.

If you have applied your application software and Support Plus patch bundles, then, I'd consider creating an Ignite tape and re-Igniting the server with that in an advanced installation mode.

If you are only the point of having laid down the core OS and do not have a significant amount of time invested, start over. Begin the installation again, but this time, be sure to choose the filesystems tab to size your filesystems according to your taste.

Regards!

...JRF...
Arunvijai_4
Honored Contributor

It is not possible to extend / when the system is online or offline. You have to select Advanced installation mode while installing 11i, you will get an option to resize / FS. Otherwise, do a Ignite tape recovery and reinstall the system with bigger / FS.

-Arun
"A ship in the harbor is safe, but that is not what ships are built for"
Jayasuntar
Valued Contributor

Dear Mohan,

Please reinstall the OS, and select advance installation while doing installation. There u can modify all the FS.

Please make sure this time you have allocated enough space to / FS. Because you can not extend the / FS online.

Regards

Jay
Shameer.V.A
Respected Contributor

Hi Mohan,

If you are not installed your application software and Support Plus patch bundles, then, re-install by selecting advanced installation mode, there you can resize your file system size according to your need.

Otherwise you have to do an ignite backup & restore it.. This is the only official procedure to extend root, swap file systems- which require contiguous space allocation .

I'm attaching one doc for your reference, which is having an un-official way of extending root/swap..

Hope this will help you

Regards,

Shameer
.... See invisible, feel intangible and achieve impossible as everything is possible ....

Hi,

You can extend all filesystems including root and stand provided that you have sufficient free space in the vg.

use #vgdispaly to find out, you have sufficient free PEs available to extend the LVs.

Refer the replay from Bhavin in this thread
http://forums1.itrc.hp.com/service/forums/questionanswer.do?threadId=785327

Regards,
Sunil
Your imagination is the preview of your life's coming attractions
mohan singh
Frequent Advisor

Hi All,

Thanks to all . Good suggestions, I have reinstalled O/S in advance option and could able to size the file systems.

Regards

Mohan