108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to activate volume group

Nick Royley
Advisor

unable to activate volume group

Hi

I wonder if anyone can help please.

When i try to activate a volume group on a hp-ux 11i server I get the following messages:

vgchange: Warning: couldn't query physical volume "/dev/dsk/c4t0d0"
The specified path does not correspond to physical volume attached to this volume group

vgchange: Warning: couldn't query all of the physical volumes
vgchange: Couldn't activate volume group "vgs_dp":
Quorum not present, or some physical volume(s) are missing.

I've run an ioscan and the disk is present and claimed.

A diskinfo on it comes back with the following response:

SCSI describe of /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0:
vendor: HP
product id: A6188A
type: direct access
size: 31457280 Kbytes
bytes per sector: 512

The /etc/lvmtab also looks correct with that disk entered under the volume group.

This disk has data on as it has been used as a service guard cluster volume for about 6 months, so i'm not sure what has happened to it. I've tried exporting the vol group and recreating it but still get the same message.

Has anyone any ideas how to fix this please?

Thanks

Julia
15 REPLIES 15
Steven E. Protter
Exalted Contributor

Shalom Julia,

The drive shows up on ioscan?

It is possible that the other node has this disk as part of an active volume group. This should be checked.

I'd run cstm or mstm or xstm and see if it tests out okay, but if there is data on it, I'd see about backing it up quickly.

SEP
Steven E Protter
Owner of ISN Corporation
http://isnamerica.com
http://hpuxconsulting.com
Sponsor: http://hpux.ws
Twitter: http://twitter.com/hpuxlinux
Founder http://newdatacloud.com
Nick Royley
Advisor

Hi Steven

Thanks for the quick response.

Yes the disk is visible on ioscan on both nodes of the cluster. Its definitely not part of any active volume group on either node.

I ran xstm, although i've not used that before I checked the device. The disk is on a VA7100 which showed no errors.

Are there any more detailed checks I could run on that?

Julia
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

did you try doing a dd on this disk?

dd if=/dev/rdsk/c4t0d0 of=/dev/null bs=512
If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Robert-Jan Goossens
Honored Contributor

Julia,

Could it be a conflict in one of the group files ?

# ll /dev/*/group

Regards,
Robert-Jan
Nick Royley
Advisor

Hi All

I hadn't tried a dd, but upon doing this I got a response of records in and out, no error messages.

I only have 2 volume groups, this one and vg00 so there is no conflict there:

crw-r----- 1 root sys 64 0x000000 Apr 13 2004 /dev/vg00/group

crw-rw-rw- 1 root sys 64 0x010000 Feb 15 14:31 /dev/vgs_dp/group
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

this disk is inside of the /etc/lvmtab under vgs_dp, correct?

so what happens if you try to do a

vgcfgrestore -n /dev/vgs_dp /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0

If no one ever took risks, Michelangelo would have painted the Sistine floor. -Neil Simon
Nick Royley
Advisor

Got the following from the vgcfgrestore....

PV /dev/rdsk/c4t0d0 has the following bad block/s with allocated alternates which resides inside the user data area. Please run pvcreate [-B] -b and specify these bad blocks before re-running vgcfgrestore. Should you wish to override this operation, re-run the command with the -F argument. In doing so, you may encounter data corruption.
Bad blocks: 21919583 21919583 218169344 157771892 158229294 8190910 235372604 67994566 0 0
Deoncia Grayson_1
Honored Contributor

is this vg mirrored?

Also do you have a good backup?

if you do a pvcreate -f this will destroy all the data on your disks, you might want to consider replacing this disk before going any further
Mridul Shrivastava
Honored Contributor

Running pvcreate -f will destroy VG information it'll not destroy the data. That configuration information u can restore from /etc/lvmconf/vgname.conf....
So u can run pvcreate -f and i m very much sure that nothing will happen to the data as it'll erase only VGRA & PVRA so if u restore the configuration after initialising it u'll get ur data. But u should have all the LE to PE mapping because u have to recreate LVs using that info. U need vgdisplay -v vgname output and lvdisplay -v lvname output for each LV. This info will help us in recreating the LVs. Do take care that u don't create any filesystem on that because if u do that it will definately destroy the data on that LV.
Time has a wonderful way of weeding out the trivial