4452 Online
108759 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to activate volume group

Adisuria Wangsadinata_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Julia,

You said that the disk is belong to VA7100, may i know when you said there's no errors this mean by physical check or from armdsp command ?

May I know the complete command you've been used for vgchange ?

Wait for your update.

Cheers,
AW
now working, next not working ... that's unix
Tvs
Regular Advisor

Hi Julia.

Just try to move the /etc/lvmtab to any other name. and just try the vgscan -v again.

if it is in a cluster setup pls do the vgimport.

regards

tvs
Devender Khatana
Honored Contributor

Hi,

The error is not for the fault in the disk but is for quorum which means that all the disks which are supposed to be there in the VG are not present.

The vg in such circumstances can be activated by bypassing the quorum check by

#vgchange -a y -q n /dev/vgs_dp

It will activate the VG and then a vgdisplay output will report the missing PVs. You should be able to mount the LVOLs on the available disk.

What are the PVs listed in lvmtab for this VG? it should be more than one. If yes then one of those was replaced and was not updated using vgcfgrestore.

HTH,
Devender
Impossible itself mentions "I m possible"
Nick Royley
Advisor

The volume group is configured for exclusive mode: vgchange -a e /dev/vgs_dp.

Unfortunately it still won't activate with the -q n .

The lvmtab only states the one disk. Unfortunately (a fault on our part) this disk
wasn't mirrored. We have backups, however the backup software (Data Protector) is on the
filesystem on this disk! Luckily its only our test kit, so although it will be a pain if we lose it, it not live stuff.

My knowledge of VA7100's isn't very extensive i'm afraid. This is the only 7100 we have.
I ran the armdsk command as suggested by Adisuria (thanks). This worked only from one of the nodes, the other just timed out.
However, it returned with no errors to any of the disks, controller or batteries. All disks were good and included.

I've done a vgscan -avp just to see what it would do and it only came back with the one disk for this vol group.

Thanks

Julia
F Verschuren
Esteemed Contributor

hi please check the disk if it is the same disk as on the primare node:
to get the pvid"
echo '0x408?2X' |adb /dev/dsk/.....

to get the vgid:
echo '0x410?2X'|adb /dev/dsk/...

Nick Royley
Advisor