5891 Online
108794 Solutions
New Discussion юеВ

Re: unable to use a disk with LVM

Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

unable to use a disk with LVM

Hi Guys,

I am facing a peculier problem with the system having L2000-44 connected to HP Disksystem 2110 ( A5675AD ) having 4 disks each of 36GB capacity.Recently we had a disk failure ( ID -2 ) in the 2110 box. Hence we got a new disk
(36GB LVD-SE 10K 320 Ultra-Wide SCSI ) , but it is not getting configured with LVM. If I do pvcreate on the disk, it says unable to write LVM record on the DISK, I/O error. I can see in the syslog that there is huge error being generated saying Resetting SCSI, Unhandled interrupt for that new disk ( c4t2d0 ) It keep on giving this error for couple of time before giving I/O error. Can anyone put more light on this issue and tell me what following error indicates?

lsp->state: 5
lbp->owner: 0000000000000000
scratch_lsp: 0000000042e0de00
script dump [000000004402d000]
0900dc00 00038000 e25c0004 f97ef7f4
80080000 f97ef090 80080000 f97ef090
SCSI: Resetting SCSI -- lbolt:42248, bus: 4
SCSI: Reset detected -- lbot: 42228, bus: 4
SCSI: Unhandled Interrupt -- lbolt:42749 , dev: 1f04200
lbp-> state: 2060
lbp-> offset: ffffffff
lbp->uPhysScript: f97ef000
ISTAT: 0a , SIST0: 18, SIST1:00 DSTAT: 80, DSPS: 000a8000

The 2110 is connected through SCSI-LVD controller ( 160 ) and is cascaded to a HP DAT drive and terminated. I removed LVM configuration from the OS pertaining to the vg of that disk ( we have one vg for each pv )and ran vgscan by disconnecting that disk from the slot to have fresh LVM configuration.But is gives that huge message!!!!!

The other 3 disk are of same type and configured with LVM and working normal...
Is it issue with the SCSI slot no.2 in the 2110?? How do i make out the cause from the above error?????...

Waiting for quick replies....

P.S. this thread ahs been moevd from Disk to HP-UX > LVM and VxVM. - HP Forum Moderator

11 REPLIES 11
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

You have a SCSI error on the disk.
The only way to resolve it it's to call HP support so they'll send a technitian over you and replace the disk.

In this line you can see what device is this. Look at the live "dev:1f04200"

1f -> 31 - device driver address, if you'll do: lsdev | grep 31, you can se what kind of device is it (sdisk, stape, etc)

The other digits are c,t and d values of special file.

As I said, there is not much that you can do. Call HP.

I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)
Norman_21
Honored Contributor

Run this command and CTRL+C after 15 seconds, see if the disk will hang:
#dd if=/dev/dsk/xxxxx of=/dev/null

I agree, the following indicates a bad disk.

I'd suggest that you install ISEE, it'll help log support calls with HP remotely.

Hope this help

"Attitudes are contagious, is yours worth catching"/ My first point was given by SEP on January 31, 2003
Robert-Jan Goossens_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Sameer,

Agree you should call HP, big change this a DOA disk.

There is a warning doc in the ITRC for CU using Disksystem 2110 in combination with U320 HBA such as the A7173A, but since you use a SCSI-LVD controller ( 160 ) I don't think it will count for you (link is below)

Document description: Advisory: DS21XX and DS2300 Disk Systems Do Not Support U320 Speeds - Importance: CRITICAL, This Advisory addresses a potential data integrity issue.
Document id: OD041111_CW01

http://www4.itrc.hp.com/service/cki/docDisplay.do?docLocale=en_US&docId=200000076966737

Best regards,
Robert-Jan
Mohanasundaram_1
Honored Contributor

Hi Sameer,

before calling HP you can check few things yourself.

1) Remove the DAT drive from the SCSI bus and terminate the DS2100. Check if the problem comes. ( Plan to connect DAT drive seperately).

2) Check SCSI cable/terminator are properly fixed. Look for any kinks/bent pins in them.

3) if so, replace them and check.

4) As pointed out already, there is a big chance that the disk is Dead-On-Arrival. get another disk and test.

5) Ensure you got all the latest LVM patches.

Please revert with the result.

With regards,
Mohan.
Attitude, Not aptitude, determines your altitude
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Thanks you all for your quick replies, appretiated...

I had done already my homework to check cables, pins ,separating DAT drive etc.. but the trouble continued.

One thing i noticed during my investigation about the disk. The disk is being identified as HP36.4MAP3367NC which firmware HPC6. All other disks are HP36.4ST3367LC and firmware HP00 . Does it make any difference??? I guess it shouldn't.....

I am gonna try with new disk and let's see what happenes.....

How much probability go u see of the slot being making trouble????

I referred the DS2110 doc , which says that
U320 drives don't operaye reliably at U320 speeds and are not supported at those speed.
That means even if I have U160 controller and U320 Disk, the disk should work at U160 speed without any trouble .

Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

Today I tested the original drive which was decleared faulty by previous SA in another working slot ( ID 4 ) . I just ran dd and diskinfo on that drive, it worked normal!!!!!
I am sure that this drive can be used with LVM. I tested my new drive ( A6571A ) as well and it worked too....

Now it's pretty sure that the slot ( ID 2 ) is giving trouble.. I would be inspecting the backplane and BCC tomorrow...
I doubt about if one can order chassis, controller separatly???

I will keep on posting the results..

Bill Hassell
Honored Contributor

You can order just about anything from HP. The (not so) secret location is: http://partsurfer.hp.com

Bill Hassell, sysadmin
Sameer_Nirmal
Honored Contributor

I have confirmed that the culprit is the slot......
Now i need to change the controller card of DS 2110 . I noted the P/N of the board. But i didn't get this part at HP parts sites.
the P/N is A5675-60001.
If i go the usual style of HP which follows the system board p/n for any system i.e
(system product number-60001) , then this is correct..... Any comment???
Alex Lavrov.
Honored Contributor

I think the best idea will be to call HP Support and talk with them. You'll get the best answers.
I don't give a damn for a man that can only spell a word one way. (M. Twain)